What are your eggs sitting on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Feb 4, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine are currently in a flat cat dish. I only have two eggs - one egg is sitting where cat food goes and the other is sitting where the water goes.

My question:
    Is this surface too smooth? Will it make the eggs roll too much once the chicks get started?

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

yeah..if there in the bator then they should be snug and tigh in the egg turner or laying down somehow so they wont roll. Because when the chicks start to pip, the egg might roll and they will not be able to continue hatching because they are now lying face down and cant pip any more because they cant turn themselves around now that they are too big for their shell. And when they are lying face down, their pips will be useless because they will be eventualy hitting the wire screen below them and not making any progress and will be unable to zip around the egg and push out.I have mine in a turner, as long as you have your eggs somehow so they wont roll during lockdown you'l be alright.

3. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks!

We had coffee filters sitting underneath them. An hour ago we second guessed ourselves and took the filters out. I guess it's time to put them back!

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I don't think that the eggs moving around is really an issue. The early hatchers in my Sportsman usually chose up sides and play field hockey with the late arrivals until they hatch, and they all do hatch.
    The smooth surface might be a problem for the new hatchlings as they do need to be on a surface with some traction to prevent splayed legs. I'd fold up a paper towel to fit the bowl and put one under each egg

5. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    The plastic dish doesn't have traction. So, we put new coffee filters under each egg.

We also smelled them. They smelled sweet. Good sign?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by