What are your favorite breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Fairy Godmartyr, Nov 30, 2010.

1. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I am getting ready to order chicks for this spring. Originally, I had planned on getting Barnevelders but they are a lot more expensive than I was anticipating (over $9 a chick, and I'm cheap [​IMG]). I've been looking around the hatchery site (Meyer) trying to decide what to do and thought I'd ask you all what you like.

I prefer brown eggs (no particular reason) and I'm drawn to unique looking things. But I also want to be practical--friendly birds, big eggs and laid frequently. Like I said, I love the look of the Barnevelders. I also love the deep brown of the Maran eggs. I have considered RIR's and Black Australorps for practicality. I'm also looking at speckled Sussex and blue laced red Wyandottes.

Opinions? Other breeds you like better? I'm thinking of getting about 5 chicks this time, so I could do more than one breed.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    My favorite breed is the Barred Plymouth Rock. Good all purpose bird and usually well mannered.

There's a lot to be said for the Rhode Island Red and the White Leghorn though.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Buff Orpingtons are my personal favorite. [​IMG]

4. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I like buffs too. I wanted Barnevelders as well, as I had heard good things. I was looking at going through Meyer, then remembered meeting the owner of Far West Hatchery this summer. I'm not sure where you are, but they have many breeds and their prices are much, much lower than Meyer. No Barnevelders though... Far West is in Oregon.

For the spring I am getting:
    Ameraucanas
    Buff Brahma
    Speckled Sussex
    Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
    Rhode Island Red
    Blue Cochin
    Welsummer
    Cuckoo Marans

I chose them all based on personality, beauty and egg color.

5. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I would have to say that Black Australorps are my favorites.. I am looking forward to some Jersey Giants next spring though...

6. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Quote:I am in Ohio. I got my other chickens through Meyer so that I could pick them up myself and spare them the trauma of being shipped.

7. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That makes sense then. I figured the same thing with my babies [​IMG]

8. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Of all my chickens, my favorites are in this order:

Cochin Bantams- cute, comical and sweet. They follow me around (both hens and rooster), chatter to me and sit with me when I am on the back porch.

Cochin Std.- Regal and docile. Not a mean bone in their body even the roo. The hens are quiet and the roo rarely crows. I love both cochins "hairy" legs.

Orphingtons. Big and beautiful.

Porcelin D'uccles, the hen is a sweetie and the roo is a little devil. He makes a game out of going for my ankles, stalks me, hiding between bushes and waiting for an ambush. If he wasn't so darn cute about it he'd been in the pot by now but I love to watch him plotting to get me and he can't do much damage with all of his pound and a half body.

Delewares and New Jerseys. I love big birds.

Rhode Island Reds. Friendly hens and personable roo once we understood that I rule the yard.

My least favorites in the yard are my Wydonettes. They are loud and mean birds. If they did not lay such nice BIG eggs they would be gone. I'm not sure if it is a breed thing or just mine. I have a Silkie Roo named Stewie that may be chicken stewie if he does not straighten out.

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

For brown eggs Black Australorps they are pretty birds that lay lots of pale brown eggs, over all my favorite is Easter Eggers.

10. Jim from Cincinnati

Jim from Cincinnati Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Would have to say my favorite breed is the Hamburg. A beautiful small breed which lays(alot)of small white eggs. They are an active breed, and some say they are shy and flighty. Got mine also from Meyers......have been very pleased.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by