What are your favorite treats to grow for your birds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by littleflocker, Nov 12, 2011.

1. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    I am starting a list of things to plant in the spring to sustain treats through the summer until following spring. Focusing on ones that have a long shelf life or are easy to dry/preserve. Thanks for your ideas!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Where do you live, climatewise? Here , I find that kale and chard work pretty well for fresh greens. You do lose them during the really cold weather, but they grow all summer and even after the first few frosts up until a hard freeze. Then if you mulch them, they sprout real early in the spring.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I think it is something you might want in your arsenal.

3. littleflocker

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    well see if they like it thanks for the info. oh and I am in WA state so pretty mild.

4. Bluezman

Bluezman New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
    Try Sunflowers, but beware of the squirrels. Plant an apple tree. A late variety, maybe Granny Smith, and you can make pies too; chickens also like pies. [​IMG]

Charlie

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    As you are in the apple state, you might consider early and mid season apples as well.

There is a thread on this that you may want to try to find; many types of plants listed as I remember.

Consider some root vegetables that can be harvested well into the fall and early winter. Carrots, turnips, parsnips, etc.

GL

6. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I don't have chickens yet but I do have tons of wild birds, so I grow things that they like to eat.
    Also we grow peaches/apples for the horses/cows that belong to my neighbor. And I'm starting muscadines, plum and attempting an apricot tree come spring.

WA may not be able to support apricots though because I think they thrive in humidity.

As for organic, self grown birdfood, basically you can go buy a cheap back of bird seed and just plant the whole bag in your yard. voila. infinite bird seed. Lol!

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    My chickens get cherry tomatoes,squash,sunflowers,comfrey,swiss chard and mustard greens.
    All easy to grow.they love to clean up under the bird feeders in the winter.
    I do buy 50lbs of winter wheat or rye to sprout for them as a treat.

8. new world

new world Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Hi littleflocker I am also in WA but on the coast of mid west not far from Geraldton. I grow lettuce, cherry tomatoes, spinach, sunflowers, bok choy and anything else I can get to grow for my girls. They particularly love lettuce and if I split the cherry tomatoes open for them they love them to. There isn't much that they don't eat but I would never give them green potato/rhubarb or tomato plant. We get hot dry winds in summer so I am not sure how things will go this summer. Where are you in WA - south, midwest or north? All the vege gardening I do at present is really to keep my very spoilt girls supplied with greens.

9. littleflocker

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    I am in northwest washington between seattle and bellingham.

10. littleflocker

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    Thanks everyone I wrote that all down and my girls will thank you for all the help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by