What are your favourite homemade chick feed recipes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spruce creek, Feb 23, 2017.

1. spruce creek

spruce creek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    We live in a remote place where you can not get feed from a store(no stores at all here) so I would like to make my own. I know a lot of people make their own mixes, and thought it might be fun and helpful to share some recipes! Right now I make a mix of oats, barley, split peas, lentils, black sunflower seeds, flax seed and sometimes cornmeal to my hens and rooster as an extra, they don't like the layer pellets and only eat them if there is nothing else. They are free range also so get lots of greens and bugs daily(we stay pretty green here all year). I have some eggs about to hatch and would really like to mix there feed for them but want to give them everything they need, as they won't be able to free range right away. I also have plenty of eggs, and canned salmon I can mix in too. Still working out ratios for the little chicks though!

2. JuliaWesterbeek

JuliaWesterbeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Singapore
    Hi,

This is a recipe I got as a reply to a question to similar to yours! I have used this for my chicks and it can also be used for chickens if you add oyster shells! I don't use this mix for my chickens since I am happy with a mix similar to yours!

Organic Baby Chick Starter Feed Recipe with Fish Meal

7 cups organic hull-less oats
    5 cups organic wheat
    3 cups organic split green peas or organic field peas
    1 cup organic (shelled) sunflower seeds
    1.5 cups organic/wild caught fish meal
    2 Tbs blackstrap molasses
    1/4 cup organic kelp
    2 Tbs brewer’s yeast
    egg (raw or hard-boiled: see below)
    greens: fresh grass, spinach, dark lettuce or kale

I would include some grit in their diet, too.

1 person likes this.
  3. spruce creek

spruce creek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    sounds like a good recipe! Has anyone tried making there own fish meal? I plan on trying to dehydrate some of our canned salmon to add to the chickens food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by