What are your monthly living expenses?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nifty-Chicken, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Under $500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. $500 - $1000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $1000 - $2000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $2000 - $3000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. $3000 - $4000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. $4000 - $5000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. $5000 - $6000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. $7000 - $8000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. $8000 - $9000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. $9000 - $10,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. $10,000 +

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We have a HUGE diversity of people on BYC. It got me to thinking, and I became curious what our peep's monthly living expenses are.

I'm doing a poll since it will allow you to submit your amount without having to post it associated to your username (so it is anonymous).

So, what is your monthly budget? How much do you spend per month? If you go on vacations, etc. just average those into the monthly figure.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I know I'm on the low end. All I pay are taxes n insurance on the new place.. No mortgage, no car payments, have more flour than pre-packaged foods, freezer full of garden bounty, cans of fruits n veggies, vacuum bags of dehydrated foods.. I do most of the mechanical work on cars, equipment etc, scrounge and recycle everything I can, garage sale, shop the adds, thrift stores..

I do odd jobs here and there, mainly computer and network stuff.

And I am trying to shrink our footprint without breaking the budget.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just figure our expenses are what we bring home because at the end of the month it's always gone. [​IMG]

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:No utility bills or internet costs? No toilet paper? [​IMG]

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Whoever clicked on $5000-6000, I am officially offering to trade paychecks with you...

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I do everything I can to save money. We could go through a WHOLE LOT more if I let up off the strict budget we follow, slightly stricter now since we were absolutely bare bones this time last year and up until a few months ago when DH FINALLY found work! We do have some leeway so it doesn't get super redundant around here, and we put a chunk in savings weekly. Every once in a while we will go get some from savings and have a crazy whatever-we-want-to-do-week, and then we're good for a year or so [​IMG] We used to travel ALL YEAR LONG, so we are burnt out on "vacation" type stuff. We'd rather have a movie madness marathon than go out of town, and sometimes we do.

7. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Don't mind sharing.
    We sneak by on a little over $2,000 a month. No extras around here except internet.
    Trying to set up after school daycare here to help get the mortgage paid off sooner then later.
    No vacations either.
    Food budget is very small.
    We both hunt and fish to fill the freezers, and every year the garden gets bigger.
    We eat a fairly strict Traditional Foods diet, so no fast food, and lots of bulk co-op food stocking up.
    And we buy local raw milk.
    And of course, we have lots of chickens, which we feed only local pasture and grains.

I also make my own clothes, and am learning to make tailored shirts for my hubby.

ETA: We heat with wood, so no heating fuel costs either.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I honestly had zero clue. I had to call up DH and ask. Its a lot more than I had thought... [​IMG]

9. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Well too much for the money that is coming in.Filing for bankruptcy, house is pending foreclosure,No decent rental propertie's, 2 repo'd vechicle's.One grandson, one daughter,And all my bird's and my 3 long time house pet's. [​IMG]

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have to agree with Deb-whatever goes into the house goes out before I send the bills [​IMG]... check is depostied before actual payday and gone by payday!!! My family is happy and healthy thats all that matters at this point-roof-food-lights-check, check, check-were good for now--oh and my fluffy friends:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by