What are your opinions on these breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FaithM, Nov 11, 2013.

1. FaithM

FaithM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    I am going to be getting my first chickens in the spring and want the most friendly/docile birds possible. I understand that this depends a lot on how much they are handled and whatnot, but I wanted to get your opinions on the following breeds and if you think they would all be nice to each other.

Ameraucana (which has a high likelyhood of being an Easter Egger, so I've been reading)
    Australorp
    Brahma
    Cochin
    Speckled Sussex
    Welsummer
    ...And possibly a few Silkies in the future

I've been reading good things about all of these breeds except for Ameraucanas, but one of my local hatcheries even says that they carry "Ameraucanas (Easter Eggers)".

Should I only stick to one or a few breeds, or could I do 6 different chicks? And if I did happen to get some Silkies in the future, would I need to keep them separate from the other birds, or could they live happily together?

Thanks!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Can't help much with most of your choices, but Welsummers I have! They are dependable layers of dark brown, speckled eggs. I don't find them overly friendly, but they're not overly aggressive either. They are a bit bossy with the other girls, but nothing vicious or anything.
    You could do 6 different chicks, no reason why not. However, my preference would be at least a pair of each breed you choose. I'm not sure why I think that, there's nothing scientific about the thought at all [​IMG] !
    Depending on whether or not egg production is important to you, I would check the pros/cons of each breed on Hendersons chicken chart, as well as reading through the 'breeds' tab here.
    Good luck with your girls, enjoy and be warned - you will want more!! Sue

3. FaithM

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks for your input! I'll do some more research on each of the breeds and see which ones will really work best for me. I'm looking for really friendly, docile chickens, but my mom wants good layers. We'll have to find a compromise. ;)

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Rhode Island Reds.........

5. FaithM

Nov 8, 2013
    The only reason I'm not really considering RIR's is because I've read that they can be kind of mean to others.. Is this true? I really want nice chickens so that if I do introduce Silkies into the flock later on, they won't be picked on too much.

6. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I have 2 RIRs' - neither of them mean. In fact, Sonja will stand in front of me , wings stretched out so I can scratch her 'armpit', when I do this she tucks her head inside my jacket and churrs softly - definitely a fearsome creature [​IMG]! They are dependable layers, friendly & curious. I suppose it all depends on the breed line, I was indeed fortunate. I once had a Speckled Sussex roo because everybody said they were gentle - PAH!! He was the meanest thing on 2 legs, Sue

7. FaithM

Nov 8, 2013
    Interesting.. I think I was probably reading about aggressive RIR roos, but it sounds like the hens are great! I'll definitely consider them an option now.. Thanks!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've encountered several quite aggressive cochins. Brahmas are really sweet. Exhibition line RIR are very different than hatchery RIR; much nicer. Australorps also might be a good choice. A mixed flock can be more interesting.

9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am, of course, going to recommend Buckeyes. They are the perfect homestead/small farm, dual-purpose bird. The males are kind to their wives, and respectful of humans. They get along with other breeds well, and if allowed to range, will eat pretty much anything that moves (insects, lizards, mice, snakes, if it moves they eat it.)

Production RIRs can be mean (those you'd get from a hatchery.) So that is true in many instances. Pure Ameraucana (which I used to breed) can be a little flighty, especially the males, but the females are adorable and very friendly.

10. FaithM

Nov 8, 2013
    Aggressive cochins? Were they roos? I'm planning on only getting hens, so would they be nicer? It sounds like hens tend to pretty much be nicer than roos in every breed..

I haven't thought about buckeyes.. I'll take them into consideration!

Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by