What are your rooster experiences?

I raised 2 roosters from birth. One I had to butcher at around 6 months. Black Australorp. He was fine with the other hens his age, but then we brought laying hens to our property, after he got introduced to them, he starting being a cocky butt. He traded his flock of young hens for the laying hens. He started attacking me, attacked my chihuahua for no reason, and starting getting into fights with my large dog, and almost killed the other rooster when he tried to mate with these laying hens. I had to butcher him.

I have another Easter Egger rooster, 6 months, now he is a sweetie. He is my favorite chicken. I can pet him and pick him up with ease. He's never once attacked me and today he did this little court dance to me... Awkward.. he also did this dance to my large dog once. At first I thought he wouldn't be able to protect the flock because of how sweet he was, well, he proved me wrong the other day and I was proud of him. My dog snapped at a chicken because the chicken got too close to his face when he was eating food off the ground, so the rooster attacked my dog. My dog was at fault. But also what I find hilarious, my rooster has never attacked my mom when she was outside by herself, but when I came out there with all the chickens and her, my rooster started trying to attack her face to face (not attacking from behind), I had to restrain him! LOL

Well my very first rooster was a Buff Orpington.He was big and buff,but was still young,saying that,he was dumb.He was trained and we would communicate by crowing.He was eaten by something,cause he refused to go up.After that I got another rooster,he is still alive,but I hate him.He pecked at my eye,pecked my hand,and try fighting once,then kicked my leg with both spurs.We also got a bantam Japanese rooster.To flighty,but very protective.My old rooster we have now,is four years,going on five,and hatched a cockeral last year.But he was scarec of us,and was killed by our dominant rooster,our only rooster,his father.

I bought myself a buff orphington roo, I love buff orphingtons

I've had a number or roosters over the years, so I'm not going to discuss every one of them here, but some that stand out is my first successful assisted hatch, that we raised in the house. He was the sweetest, sweetest thing. I loved nothing more than sit on my lap, followed me everywhere, he was a great pet. Until he reached 6 months of age and lost his mind overnight. He attacked me, visitors, animals, the hens, he attacked everything. One day he nearly killed one of my hens and my husband said enough is enough. Since I don't eat chicken meat, we sold him to someone who does.

Round about the same time I raised another rooster that turned out to be an absolute gem. He was also house raised. He was human friendly, great with the hens, great with the other roosters in the flock. He loved people and had the most wonderful, sweet nature. I never had a problem with him, ever.

At the moment I have two roosters, a hatchery quality RIR that is a bit skittish, but a total sweetheart and a game mix that I rescued a few months ago that is good with the hens and o.k. with me. He attacked me once and got his butt kicked and since then he's behaved himself, but time will tell? He is a wonderful flock protector though and yesterday raised the alarm and warned my youngsters in time when I hawk tried to take one.

Overall I love having roosters in my flock, I enjoy their personalities, their crowing (as long as they're not sitting on my lap at the time!), the endless supply of fertile eggs for hatching and having them out there, watching over my hens. When I look back over my flocks, I must say the positives outweighed the negatives 10 to 1 for when it comes to rooster experiences. They are definitely worth keeping
smile.png

Last spring I got what was supposed to be three pullets from tsc and two were roosters (leghorns) they were both mean and would attack without provocation. They are GONE BABY GONE! I recently bought a welsummer rooster from a lady he's the biggest sweetheart alerts the girls when there is danger shows them treats and fertilized my eggs without hounding my girls constantly he hasn't ever shown aggression towards humans (knock on wood)

I have a Black Cochin rooster I call Elvis. He is great. He's a big lazy butt. Doesn't attack us and will let us pet him. He doesn't even crow. He walks so slowly, it's funny. But he will intervene if the hens get into a bad fight with each other.

I'm wanting to get a few more roosters. My son wants a Buff Orp rooster for his 4H project. I also want a Black Australorp, White Sultan, and Silver Laced Polish. I'm thinking of getting a golden buff instead of the Australorp though. I have 49 hens right now and will be getting a couple more female chicks. That's not too many roosters is it? Which would you all get, the black or the golden buff?

Back
Top Bottom