1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are your thoughts on silkie bantams???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 18, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hi

I was thinking in spring sometime I will buy a few silkie batams from my mom to add to my flock of ducks i have now (even though they would be in a totally different pen) But I wanted to know your thoughts on this breed?
    Thanks!

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    The breed is a favorite of many.
    They are cute, very docile, and will often go broody and hatch any eggs you give to them.
    Other chickens may pick on silkies because they look different and are so calm/friendly.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    You do know their not tiny birds even with the name "bantam" right?
    Their not huge but their not tiny either.. I have heard alot of people become dissapointed with their size because they seen "Bantam" behind Silkie and thought they were going to be these tiny little fluf balls an they grew larger then they had expected.

4. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think all Silkies are considered "bantams."

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Wrong! There is a straine of LF Silkies in Europe! but their almost non existent here in the US unless they have imported!

6. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

I love, Love, LOVE my silkie bantam. It is so fun to watch her go about her daily business all covered in fluff. Here she is, Eleanor, at 26 weeks, the same approximate size as my 8 week old chicks.

[​IMG]

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 2 silkies in a mixed flock. They dont get picked on. They hold their own with the large ones. I have several bantams that free range with the big ones but go into their own coop at night. D'anvers are flighty and not very friendly. Cochin bantams are a little more friendly but my silkies are loves. My silkie cockrel is starting to crow. OMG he has such a cute crow.

8. jmarshall

jmarshall Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Western NY
    My silkies never get picked on, they're beautiful, and fun to watch. Very soft. I had often read they were super friendly, but I have found mine to not be very social, whereas others will come up to me and are easily picked up, the silkies almost have to be chased into a corner before they will let me pick them up. I love them though for their uniqueness and cute little eggs. They are named Beatrice & Eugenie for their unique headdress.

9. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hilarious. Fantastic names!

10. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I LOVE Silkies. I have 4 (2 white and 2 blue) and I have to say, the white ones are very bossy around the 14 other chickens. I got a straight run, so they are probably all males, but we'll see. The 2 blue ones are a little more skittish, but I expect them to come around once they get a little older.

I have to disagree about the D'Anvers. I have a male and a female and they are very very sweet (especially the female.) My boy, Gazpacho, has a "big man on campus" attitude with the other chickens that were not his hatch mates. He can be territorial, but is not aggressive toward people at all. He and his sister, Amelia Egghart, love to fly up and sit on my arm to be petted. They also like to sing to me. Amelia is very accepting toward all other birds, whether they are hatch mates or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by