What are your thoughts on these breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hellbell80, Mar 3, 2016.

1. hellbell80

hellbell80 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2015
    Worcestershire UK
    Hi there. Im new to chickens and have several hybrids that have been great for egg production. I Decided to try my luck at hatching chicken eggs ( ive hatched quite a few quail successfully). I bought 6 eggs all of different breeds so i could surprise myself [​IMG]
    I had a list of all the types of breeds the guy owned but not what the breeds of the eggs he sent. So is a complete mystery. They hatched yesterday so i understand its harder. I think the two that have hatched are two different breeds due to the one having a fluffier neck and feathered feet. Anyone help me?
    [​IMG]
    The top pick is the feathered feet one

[​IMG]
    This one no feathers on the feet.
    Both were hatched about 15mins from each other.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.

What breeds did the individual have? This will help narrow the possible breed IDs for your chicks. Also, what color of egg did each chick hatch from?

3. hellbell80

Dec 25, 2015
    Worcestershire UK
    Hi ok the guy had Black marans, faverolles, wyandotte,blue bells,Speckleys, Brahma, Leghorns, Black rock and araucana. Think that was the list. They bot came from light coloured eggs cream. Slightly different shade on both.

4. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    The first is probably a Faverolles is you aren't in the US. The second is a Black Marans if the line is clean legged. It could also be a Speckley or Blue Bell since I'm not familiar with the crosses because they're not common in the US. :)

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Did he keep all the breeds in their own pens, or were they all kept in one flock?
    The first chick looks like a Marans, but has fluffy cheeks and yellow legs, so likely a mixed breed.

6. hellbell80

Dec 25, 2015
    Worcestershire UK
    Not sure. he could have kept all the chickens as a mixed flock. :confused:

7. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    It is likely they're mixed looking back.

8. hellbell80

Dec 25, 2015
    Worcestershire UK
    Ok thanks guys [​IMG] they are bith doing really well so im just happy with that

9. hellbell80

Dec 25, 2015
    Worcestershire UK
    Hi just an update on the chicks. Ive veen in contact with the breeder i got the eggs off. She has told me either a black sussex exchequer leghorn or black rock. Im not to sure. I also think ive got a roo and a pullet. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not great photos they are fidgets lol. First 2 i think is the pullet. The 2 pics i think is the roo

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The first bird has muffs and feathered legs. It's not Sussex, Leghorn, or Rock. Looks like it might be an Olive Egger mix, using a Marans and an Araucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by