What are your thoughts on using ceramic eggs with muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Steffanyace, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Steffanyace

Steffanyace Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2012
    I got a ceramic duck egg from the feed store the other day and put it in one of the nesting boxes last night before putting them up. This morning when I let them out, I saw the egg had been kicked out of the box. I know it is late in the season, but I was hoping it might encourage them to lay some eggs. Is that normal for the duck to kick the egg out? Should i put it back in? Has anyone used ceramic eggs with any luck?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Placing ceramic eggs in the nest box won't encourage them to lay. But it might help them to know where to lay.
    If she is kicking the egg out, it means she is not ready probably and is wondering what that egg shaped thing is.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I find my Muscovy decide for themselves.. i just offer.. er encourage areas but nothing is a for sure, i don't think the old fake egg trick works with ducks [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have used the fake egg trick with mine. Before, I used the plastic fillable easter eggs and now I just have golf balls. They do work for me in letting the ducks and chickens know where to lay. Its more of a "this is a safe spot because there is an egg there already" thing. They will not lay because there is an egg there though. Unfortunately, my one duck that was laying, laid about 6 eggs and stopped. [​IMG] It is late in the year for them to start but I was hoping.

5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I do that with both my Runners and my Pekins. Works good for me. Yes sometimes they kick it out of the nest. Just put it back in if they don't do it themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by