What bantam breeds are best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BaldMonkey, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BaldMonkey

BaldMonkey Cooped Up

Feb 10, 2008
    I am new to chickens but we want to get some bantams that are friendly and are somewhat cold hardy. We live right along the NC border in VA.

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    i love my BB OEGB. My seabrights are pretty to look at but the BB's have way more personality. If you are looking for a roo, I can bring one to the meet up. Out of pullets at the moment

3. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    i like my cochins

4. BaldMonkey

BaldMonkey Cooped Up

Feb 10, 2008
    Ok I have to ask....what is an a BB OEGB? I have nooooo clue sorry.

5. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Black Breast Old English Game bird
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not such a great pic of Frank, the roo- resized it too small.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My personal favorite is the Ameraucanas. The Buff Orpingtons are a very sweet bird too.
    I've been told that the bantams are not as cold hearty as the standards, so i would just suggest providing
    reasonable shelter. Have fun!!!

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    OEGB???? They said they wanted FRIENDLY.....Yes, some OEGB are friendly but, also you get some real doozies in the breed! That's why I have stopped raising any oegb. Go with something calm and friendly like...........orpingtons,silkies,belguin quail or bantam dominiques or even bantam barred rocks. Most all of these are truely friendly.

8. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    I have OEGBs right now, and love them absolutly friendly my son is 6 and can go out and pick them up. Oh should mention I only keep hens. This year I am ordering cochins bantams because I heard they make great pets and dont fly high like the OEGB.

9. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    SILKIES! THEY MAKE THE BEST PETS [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    any breed that has a large comb could get frost bite so it would be best to just make sure you have a good set up for your birds

I tried 2 different lines of wyandottes because they have a rose comb(small) but did not find either line frriendly and got rid of them

I have a lot of bantams and they are all friendly

the smaller ones modern games are very friendly they strike up a conversation with you and will come right up to you----oegames are just as friendly as modern games i think

and the large fluffy ones the cochins are good natured and will sit in your lap--my buff orpingtons are sweet but generally too timid to be friendly

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by