What Bantam breeds are these chicks?

Kenshan1

Songster
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
We are new to Bantams. Just picked these up last night at Tracker Supply. Had intended to only get 4 but they had a minimum of 6 rule. We had counted 8 & the lady working there said she'd give us the rest free so she didn't have to care for just 2 till the next ones came in. We couldn't pass up that deal but when we got home there was 9 chicks lol. Told my husband he better build me a bigger coop. I'm not concerned about hen or roo yet although I do have one I think might be a roo already. I just know nothing about Bantams & would like to know what breeds they might be as they came "assorted".

I have 2 with this color & looks.

This one has puffy cheeks compared to the rest.

I'm suspecting roo with this one it stands more upright then the rest. I have 3 this color & looks.

2nd to smallest of the group.

Smallest of all the chicks, very noticeably tiny. Has pastey butt so trying to keep its rear cleaned & looks like its been treated before cause its back feathers are purple.

Any help on breeds would be great.

Shannon

Do you know what hatchery they are from? try calling your tractor supply to find which they order from. Then google that hatchery to see what they have in their bantam mix, might narrow things down.

The one you think is a roo looks like a bantam Cochin.

The last one might be a Japanese bantam.

Last edited:
The first one maybe a Cochin (Millie fleur d'Uccles have puffy cheeks does it have puffy cheeks?), the second one I think is a d'Anver, the third one also looks like a Cochin, the fourth one I'm unsure of, and the last one maybe a bantam Black Australorp.

The first one could be a Cochin but I'm actually thinking it is a dark brahma. 2 looks like an Easter egger, 3 is probably a Cochin (partridge?), 4 looks like a barred rock, and 5 looks like a jersey giant or australorp (I think you said they are bantams though, so this may vary)

I agree that #1 looks more like a dark Brahma then a Cochin. #3 is most definitely a Cochin (I was thinking silver laced).

I have no idea on the others, all those little black chickies pretty much look the same to me :oops:

The first one maybe a Cochin (Millie fleur d'Uccles have puffy cheeks does it have puffy cheeks?), the second one I think is a d'Anver, the third one also looks like a Cochin, the fourth one I'm unsure of, and the last one maybe a bantam Black Australorp.
Thanks. The first one does not have puffy cheeks. Here are a few more pictures of the first 3. I'll add them in order as I did above so not to confuse.

Cream face, big puffy cheeks (almost looks like a beard) & bare legs.

Has a slight puff to the yellow cheeks compared to the ones that don't.

Shannon

Chick #2 is a Quail Antwerp Belgain bantam D'Anver. I have some :)
#3 looks like a Cochin of some color
#1 could be a buff brahma if no puffy cheeks, otherwise I would say Mille Fleur

Ok here are updated pictures, they sure have changed a little. In the same order as the first pictures. Anymore ideas on breeds?

Couldn't get this one to stand but has very feathered legs/feet. When I looked up Brahma Bantam, these look alot like them.

This is Sweet Cheeks but she's lost most of her fluffy cheeks. She is the sweetest & most out going, bravest too. Kind of leader attitude.

Haven't found any pictures to compare these with so not sure. They are very fluffy making them seem much bigger although they are a little bigger then the rest.

This one has changed quite a bit from the little black chick with a white dot on its head & single dot on its wings. It was late to get feathers as it was putting all its energy into growing, it has caught up in size to the #3 chicks.

This was named Tiny but now my daughter say "Little Foot". Still the smallest of them all. It's comb has developed quicker then the rest & is red already. So i'm guessing this one is a roo? Of coarse hoping not & I seem to be wrong on the other one I thought was but this one seems more likely.

Back
Top Bottom