What bantam breeds to get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KingOfTheCoop02, Feb 8, 2017.

1. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    Hi all, this is my first BYC post... I have four hens (two RIRs, a Golden Comet and a Bluebell) and three ducks (khaki and pair of Indian Runners) but want to expand my flock again. I have decided I want to get some bantams but don't know what breeds to get.

Does anyone know what kind of breed of bantam used to be on traditional farmyards of times past (especially here in Ireland)? I was talking to my grandfather and he didn't know the name of the breed but was able to describe them. The roosters were colourful and the hens were plain (partridge feathering?). I think it might be the Old English Game bantam but I am unsure.

Other than one of them I will probably get one or two other hens and I don't really mind what breeds they are. Just something cute, colourful and friendly. I was thinking Easter Eggers or Silkies. If anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear.

It would be pleasant to have a good supply of mini eggs but as I already have the hens and ducks eggs are not a priority.

I hope you can help... will keep you updated on my choice! [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Hmmm, the first breed that came to my mnd when you described them was a marsh daisy, but those aren't bantams... nankins are a pretty old breed that originated in Britain, but don't fit the color description... can you look for a picture? If I could see one I might be able to tell you what they are.

OEGs come in soooo many color varieties, it very well could be them. They aren't the best layers though, if you actually want to see the mini eggs [​IMG] I have two cochin banties right now, a smooth feathered and a frizzle, and of the two my smooth girl is a pretty steady layer so far. She lays GIANT eggs for a chicken her size; they eggs are bigger than her head! They were both broody raised, so they aren't super friendly, but they don't resist being picked up.

If you want a cuddle chicken, get a brahma. They're huge, but if you just get one, you'll be smitten forever. All the brahmas I've had are total lap chickens. They do come in bantam version, too, but I don't know if they act like the standards do.

3. PeepersMama

Oh, I forgot Dutch. Depending on the variety, they very well could be what you remember.

4. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    Thank you for the advice... I showed my grandfather Google pictures of all the breeds you spoke about and it is definitely either the Dutch or Old English Game... and I think (judging by characteristics) that it is the Dutch bantam.

As for the other breed it will probably be either a silkie or Pekin (in Europe Cochin bantams are called Pekins) but if it is available from the seller I would like an Ameraucana for some blue eggs.

I will post some pictures when I get the new flock members and thank you for the advice.[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies & Pekins tend to go broody often and make the best natural incubators.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

There are lots of good friendly bantam breeds. Silkies are one good choice, as are Cochin Bantams (Pekins).

7. PeepersMama

:yesss I love it when I guess right! :p Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by