what bantam breeds will use a ramp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by morgakl2, Dec 19, 2011.

1. morgakl2

morgakl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Since ramps aren't silkie friendly, what other bantam breeds use the ramp to go into the coop with ease? Every night I watch my 3 month old bearded silkie fall out of the coop. I guess he/she doen't see the hole in the floor leading to the exit ramp.

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My Silkies use our ramps - both the one leading into the coop and the one going up to the roost.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    bobbieschicks...I love the lights in your coop! I need to do that for my girls. As far as them not being able to use a ramp? I have never noticed my girls not being able to us the ramp to get in and mine is a good 2 1/2 feet up. Maybe dude has an eye issue?

4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    My silkies also used the ramp...and a long ramp it is....you can see a silkie on the ramp on my page.

5. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    ahhh maybe it's because they had older chickens or other breeds to learn from. The only chickens I have are 2-3 month old silkies. Maybe if I get another breed or older experienced chicken in there, they can learn.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks - it was a cheap simple fix to adding supplemental lighting. We hardly ever use those tent lights and I don't have to worry about them catching on fire.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:It did take them some time to get used to the ramp - there was a period of time that they still preferred to huddle. But now they are roosting like everyone else - although you can see they do it at the very top of the ladder on the edge of the manure box instead of on one of the horizontal 2x4s. The other chicks do help to encourage them I think as it seems they learn alot by example. I also walked them up and down the ramps so they would get used to them. But my chicks are still very young - just 9 weeks old this Weds - so they may or may not want to continue to go up the ramp once their "hair" gets in their eyes. Once I notice them not getting up there I will probably trim those feathers because I definitely prefer them using the manure box for their droppings and I won't be pampering my chicks [​IMG]

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Quote:mine didn't have any one to show them. They learned to go up both the inside ramp and outside ramp. Just give them some time. They are slower learning to go up. Its those fuzzy faces...

9. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    Quote:It did take them some time to get used to the ramp - there was a period of time that they still preferred to huddle. But now they are roosting like everyone else - although you can see they do it at the very top of the ladder on the edge of the manure box instead of on one of the horizontal 2x4s. The other chicks do help to encourage them I think as it seems they learn alot by example. I also walked them up and down the ramps so they would get used to them. But my chicks are still very young - just 9 weeks old this Weds - so they may or may not want to continue to go up the ramp once their "hair" gets in their eyes. Once I notice them not getting up there I will probably trim those feathers because I definitely prefer them using the manure box for their droppings and I won't be pampering my chicks [​IMG]

Oh my gosh that is exactly what my oldest chick does. It likes to sit at the top of the ramp. Weird. I never thought about giving them a "hair cut." Thanks for the idea.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Our Serama/Old English/d'Uccle bantams wouldn't bother with a ramp. They just fly up where they want to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by