What Bantam is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JenellYB, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JenellYB

JenellYB Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Someone rescued this hen from dogs that had her half skinned alive the week before Thanksgiving..thought no way she'd survive. Not only did she, but by Christmass she began laying at the rate of 1 egg every 36 hrs, or 2 eggs every 3 days, and amazed at egg size, 2 of her eggs come close to volume of one large egg...will try to post here picture of her and her egg next to a store bought large egg. In late Jan, she missed laying 3 days, but then started again and has missed only 1 day in 2 weeks..an egg a day!

I haven't been able to get her exact weight, but she'd tiny...I tried to take a picture of her with a soda can besdie her to show scale but she was afraid of it, lol. But a 12oz soda can top comes right about to the top of her "shoulder" as she's standing in this photo. She's taming down, had obviously been not pet handled before, and traumatized by the dogs. She came from some unsavory people that raise pit bulls and fighting cocks, but the wife has tried various kinds of fancy and pet birds to raise to sell, but they always let dogs get in and kill them. They don't speak much english and are not friendly, all the man would tell us was yeah, his wife had been trying to raise them, but dogs had got them all and he didn't know what kind they were, and basiclally, kind of it was none of our business anyway.

She does have slate legs. Nankin maybe? Her prolific egg laying and size of her eggs for her body and feed consumption makes me want more like her!

Jenell

[​IMG]

2. JenellYB

..and her egg with a large store bought egg...

[​IMG]

3. JenellYB

Btw, also, the first photo, with her hunkered down, was taken a couple weeks after her ordeal, she had only stubs of tail feathers, the dogs had pulled them all out, and as you can see in the standing picture taken around ,mid Jan, they've had to grow back. Her skin had been ripped from her body below her right wing, could see her ribs, hip and thich joints and muscles, all the way down to being able to see her intestines through the thin membrane covering them...she still has an ugly scar, but its hid under her right wing. Her survival really was amazing! We couldn't justify a big vet bill, just gave her a quiet, clean warm place to recover, and she did it on her own.
    Jenell

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    I'm by no means an expert, but I'm thinking Serama with tiny size and unique posture.

5. JenellYB

I have no experience with bantams. When I began trying to look her up, serama was the firt thing I found I thought might be it, But, then the slate legs, prolific laying and egg size doesn't seem to fit serama. I don't know. All I've read on Serama is poor egg laying rate, and very tiny eggs, takes 5 to make one large egg? Maybe there are exceptions..maybe some more expereinced Serama folks can clue us in.

I've raised many meat and egg chickens years ago, but now by myself, don't need a laying flock, and predators here so bad it's not worth the fight to protect them...but this, my goodness, she's shown here n a 20 X 20 cockatiel cage! She had a little plastic box tied atthe top of the cage where she lays her eggs. She's happy living by a window indoors, I take her outside on pretty days, set her cage on the ground, slide out her pan, and let her scratch on the ground. then just slide the pan back in and bring her back in!
    Jenell

6. RoyalFlock

RoyalFlock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    She looks like a Serama but due to the large egg she may be a mix with the larger game fowls.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a serma of a wheaten color

8. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Yeah, I'm thinking Serama X now.

9. JenellYB

Hmmm...given what we do know of the history of the people that had her, of trying to raise various fancy birds for sale, apparantly through some source other than their home, since they are not friendly people, lol, a mixed breed would surpise me. I'm sure that's possible, but would surprise me given what we do know of those people's history with birds. The slate legs are also throwing me as far as Serama, as well as the eggs.

do wish those people were more approachable, more open. But they are not...they live a block or so from my daughter, and are very unsociable, and as far as my daughter knows, the wife doesn't speak english at all. they are hispanic....she tries to not have much contact.
    Since it is her egg laying qualities combined with her small size, I'd sure not be getting something similar to her to get another serama, it seems that is not typical of them. Maybe its just meant for me to have her as only one special and unique chicken!
    Jenell

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think you're probably right on the Nankin. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Nankin/BRKNankin.html
    They have slate legs, can have single combs, and are shaped and sized very close to Seramas.

That's awesome that you were able to save her and that she's recovering so well! She looks great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by