1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What bedding to use?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Delta3013, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    I'm getting 25 meat birds and I dont know what to use for bedding in the brooder, any suggestions?
    I dont want to harm the chickies with bedding your not supposed to use.
    Please help.

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Pine shavings work good, or by that non-skid roll in dollar general for a buck!that stuff is washable,reuseabe,and rubber so they chicks wont get splayed legs.

but for the true chicken raiser,try pine shavings.

3. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Ok, Thanks, just wasnt sure because I heard that cedar shavings was poisonous and didnt know if pine was.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    wood chips are a sure no-no. Chicks eat things like that.

I always use plain ol' paper towels. Then at about 2-3 weeks start using newspaper.

for the first 1-2 weeks, you HAVE to have somthing with a grip (like paper towels)

cause if you don't, the chicks could get splayed legs. You can also use puppy pads.

but they're on the pricey side. You can also shred newspaper if you want somthing

more soft. [​IMG]

Becca

5. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Thats what I used to use, but this is the most fuzzy-butts I've had at one time, so I was trying to find something that would "Hold" more "Stuff" [​IMG] than plain ol' newspaper that just collects on top.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:I know what you mean. I always have about 6-12 chicks hatch.

By week three everybody is screaming "Get those messy chickens out of the house!"

[​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Peat moss is a superior bedding - absorbent and naturally deodorizing. The chicks revel in scratching in it, and there's nothing so cute as week-olds dirt-bathing just like the big chickens do!

I would perform a daily raking of the poop, which was very easy, and it kept the brooder clean and neat. However....the dust is horrendous! Added to the naturally occurring feather dander that is always air-born around any brooder, the peat moss creates a dust situation that, if inside your house, will take months (if ever) to completely clean.

So I prefer wood shavings. But peat moss is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First two weeks, paper towels.. then I transition to pine shavings by 4 weeks.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I haven't used anything but kiln-dried pine shavings for years now and have brooded hundreds of chicks on them. No paper towels, just straight onto the shavings. Never had a chick die from eating their bedding.

For meat birds buy twice as much bedding as you think you'll need because you're going to be changing it often no matter what you use.

10. Delta3013

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:I know what you mean. I always have about 6-12 chicks hatch.

By week three everybody is screaming "Get those messy chickens out of the house!"

[​IMG]

THANK YOU!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by