What bedding u use for your chickens?

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
I have an only chicken and I’m new to chickens so I’m wondering what the best bedding will be. I want to use straw but apparently it molds if not cleaned and I’m not planning on cleaning it every day since it’s only one chicken there would hardly be any poop. What’s the best bedding for their feet and comfort, something that I won’t have to get cleaned very often because I don’t like wasting. Id probably clean it once a week or so.

Well when I was on a trip 4 hours away from home my sister texted me saying how she found a chicken In a trail hiding in a bush, not to far from the my house. I told her to take care of it till I got back because I really wanted to see it. Well I got home and they chicken was really attached to us. If it saw you I would stand right by you and eat and sometimes even stand on your shoe. And it would chirp very loudly every time we got back in the house. If flew to one of our windows twice, thankfully, no injuries. After talking to some people we realized it needed some friends. We headed off to rural king and asked for a pullet, (we aren’t aloud to have roos since I’m in the city limit) they told us we had to buy at least 6. With the amount of space I have and not knowing much about chickens and just rehoming my ducks I knew I wasn’t going to be able to handle 7 chickens. I tried explaining to them that I had an only chicken at home and that it needed friends but they were stuburn :mad: I also talked to TSC but no luck :( Now she is about three months old living a healthy life on our two acres and getting spoiled:p
FF1A71D5-81FB-4D9A-8250-39C00341635B.jpeg

(When we found her)
90793D8D-9122-4940-B068-EDC812EF9EB7.jpeg

(Now)

Pine shavings are great. I get the mini shavings from tsc and use a cat litter scoop to filter out poo once a week. The pine is kind of deodorizing too. She's a cutie maybe you could find someone private to get a couple more hens from.

We use shredded paper from an office (bank) building. Clean and free. Wicks moisture so lasts a really long time. Does not breed bugs! Easy to transport. Can lift it up with a rake and move it to one side, sweep the droppings away, they will be dry. Compostable.

Well when I was on a trip 4 hours away from home my sister texted me saying how she found a chicken In a trail hiding in a bush, not to far from the my house. I told her to take care of it till I got back because I really wanted to see it. Well I got home and they chicken was really attached to us. If it saw you I would stand right by you and eat and sometimes even stand on your shoe. And it would chirp very loudly every time we got back in the house. If flew to one of our windows twice, thankfully, no injuries. After talking to some people we realized it needed some friends. We headed off to rural king and asked for a pullet, (we aren’t aloud to have roos since I’m in the city limit) they told us we had to buy at least 6. With the amount of space I have and not knowing much about chickens and just rehoming my ducks I knew I wasn’t going to be able to handle 7 chickens. I tried explaining to them that I had an only chicken at home and that it needed friends but they were stuburn :mad: I also talked to TSC but no luck :( Now she is about three months old living a healthy life on our two acres and getting spoiled:p View attachment 2811631
(When we found her)View attachment 2811633
(Now)
Join local FB Poultry Groups. You should be able to find someone that will sell you a couple of pullets for her.

I use poop boards with Sweet PDZ on them that are scooped daily and hemp and/or pine shavings on the coop floor. I clean the coop out once a year.

Back
Top Bottom