What best breeds for NOT flying??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochinfan, Nov 18, 2010.

1. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I'm tired of my chickens flying out of their protected very, very large fenced area. they have a four foot fence but the smaller birds fly in and out. Either predators get them if they fly completely out or if they fly into my backyard, my husband's dog occassionally decides to eat one.

My favorites are the cochins and fortunately they are two heavy to fly over the fence. What other breeds would stay in the yard??

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Hmm im no expert but... a cochin, an orperington or some other equally heavy bird would work.

3. Golden Acre

Golden Acre Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Lena,Wisconsin
    Well I don't have chickens as of yet but I hear Silkies can't fly because of their feathers

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Hmm, at my place the Marans and Welsummer pullets have been flying out. A Welsummer was mildly injured by my own dog the other night for trying to get back in the yard by going too close to his dog dish. My friend can't keep her Spitzhaubens out of her trees.

I'd say the Langshans are pretty well grounded at my place. My cochins don't fly much either. Other heavy breed options might include Brahma, Jersey Giant, Delaware, etc.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Silkies don't fly.

Delawares do not like to be penned ....

We call her, "Floozy." She seems to think she has to be out socializing with the others, instead of staying with her own kind. Or, maybe she thinks, "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?" [​IMG] Every day she does this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, she wants back in!

[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Floozy looks like a tightrope walker - maybe she wants to join a circus

7. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    Sussex

8. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    I use a 4ft. fence when I split my Brahmas into breeding pens. Absolutely holds them once the reach adult weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by