What best for jersey gaint chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rooster brandon., Nov 18, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    What would be best to put in the bottom of a jersey gaint chick brooder little wood chips or sand?Also what would be best for every chick brooder like game bantams and regular game?I dont want to go buy all the wrong stuff.............

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I put a very old rag in the bottom of my brooder. I don't think it really matters, just make sure they have traction so they don't get splayed leg, and make sure they can't swallow it.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    rooster brandon. :

What would be best to put in the bottom of a jersey gaint chick brooder little wood chips or sand?Also what would be best for every chick brooder like game bantams and regular game?I dont want to go buy all the wrong stuff.............

I use wood chips for all my birds, babies or grown. Just make sure they are PINE and not CEDAR! Cedar is toxic to chicks. You can cover the shavings with paper towels for the first few days, but I find this to be more of nuisance than anything else.

Just make sure whatever you use, that it isn't slippery, as this can cause splay leg. Especially don't use newspaper, this is very slippery for their little feet.​

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I use all straw for mine. I have a deal with the farmer down the road he gets free eggs I get all the straw I need. Just be sure what you use they can not swallow and it is not slippery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by