what book is the best for breeding ~ colors ,genetics,SOP?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Soaring Chicks, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a book I can lean on while I'm breeding towards a new color in a coulpe of my flocks. Or one that would give info on bettering the color I already have.
    I also am looking into the genetics and SOP.
    Any info would be great. The name of the books and who wrote it better.
    Thanks!

2. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Can anyone give me the name of the book? Please!

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Austinhart123 just bought "Genetics of Chicken Colors" by Sigrid Van Dort, I believe. Several people on here have the book and recommend it, and I am considering getting my own copy.
    http://www.chickencolours.com/index.html
    Expensive, but worth every penny, I'm told!

eta: I know Sigrid wrote it, but I believe Austin just bought it. PM him and ask him what he thinks!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  4. What about the Standard...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have the APA Color Standard of Perfection and I do like the book. Its great. [​IMG]

7. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I couldn't find a price for the Chicken Colour e-Book. If it has to be printed to get a hardcopy, cost increases. I purchased the book 21st Century Poultry Breeding by Grant Brereton. It's focuses on Wyandottes but it's applicable to other breeds as well. It isn't a bad book for the price.

8. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    For bantams i would go with Bantam Chickens by Fred P. Jeffery it is a wonderful book that has information on varieties, conditioning, breeds, and has information from actual breeders and has tips on coops and all the essentials for serious breeders. It even shows what genetics make up sertain varieties.

9. Soaring Chicks

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Thanks! I just got all of these. Something must be up with my internet. [​IMG]
    To all that replyed Thanks! I'll look those up and see if I can't find them. I had someone tell me what book to get and could not find the name of it any where! Thanks alot! [​IMG]
    Oh and I'm only breeding standard poultry. Sorry I should have put that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by