1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What books and publications are useful to learn about Ornamentals and Exotic fowl?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by mominoz, Mar 16, 2016.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

I raise domestic waterfowl and show a bit..... but am interested in learning about Ornamental and Exotics to maybe add.... I couldn't find any 'stickies' or where to begin... thinking of starting with some easy waterfowl.... and possibly peacocks or ornamental pheasants

2. Roy31

Roy31 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    pa
  3. cajunfowl0

cajunfowl0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    Keep in mind exotics can not be housed with domestics and are not near as tame.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    +1 cajunfowl0, Pheasants should not be kept with domestic poultry. Chickens have disease's that pheasants have no immunity to...what won't do harm to a chicken will kill a pheasant.

5. cajunfowl0

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    Yeah that's what I meant by exotics. Pheasants included. The only exotics that Ik off that can be housed with domestics are tinamous but it's still not advised

6. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they can ornamental waterfowl and domestic waterfowl can be housed together , they just have to be bantam domestics, our mandarins and call ducks get along great

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  7. cajunfowl0

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    The size of the domestic fowl have nothing to do with it. Domestics birds all carry certain illnesses that wildfowl are not immune to. Call ducks have been known to be housed with domestics but not without major problems. I just got back from Pinola and got a lot of one on one with Jakob. Trust me. If you care about the birds don't house them with domestics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by