What books do your kids like?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by phaethona, Nov 11, 2010.

1. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi!

I got a barnes and noble gift card for my birthday. while my first instinct as a book hoarder is to order several for myself, I figure since money is tight and Xmas is around the corner, i should get my kiddos some books instead since their big readers. I'm clueless what to get and they don't have any suggestions for me either, so I need some ideas.

I have 3 girls:
    12 year old: biggest bookworm of them all, she's into fantasy(she flew through the Twilight series), loves horses, adventure stories. she's reading at almost college level, I've lent her some from my collection like Night by eli wiesel, she loved The Five People You Meet in Heaven

9 year old: also reads above her level, but doesn't get "lost" in books as much as her older sister, so for her I'm thinking catchy, funny type stories

4 year old: she's not reading on her own just yet, but she's ready for books that give a good foundation for learning words(like dick and jane type)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as this gift card is burning a hole in my pocket! [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    One of my favorite authors at your oldest DD's age was Dick Francis. He's an English author and writes about steeplechase racing, so all the books are centered around horses. The books are geared towards adults; the hero usually meets a love-interest in the book. They're not graphic about the love scenes, but you should probably read one first to make sure it's okay for your DD. The James Herriot books are awesome and about all animals. As a teenager, I also really like Piers Anthony's Xanth novels - adventure/fantasy.

My DD is 10 and she really wants to read the Dork Diaries series. She also reads Babysitters Club books, The Saddle Club, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, American Girl books and books on fairies. She also liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants.

Youngest DD likes Fairytales. At 4 DS loved Where the Wild Things Are and oldest DD liked Harold and the Purple Crayon. I can recite those from memory, I've read them so much!

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Has your 9 year old read the Wimpy Kid series yet? My son is 10 and he LOVED those books.

When I was 12 I was reading Stephen King pretty voraciously. [​IMG] If she likes fantasy novels, try the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series, it is much less risque than a lot of other fantasy series IMO.

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    MY nephew, that is staying with us for this school year, loves his book " My Book Of Bible Stories "
    published by the JW's

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'm sure she's probably already read them, but the Black Stallion series is amazing!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Forgot to mention, I love Little Golden Books for the younger crowd! We have loads of them. I have been known to sit and read them by myself. [​IMG]

8. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I have an almost 8 year old daughter and 9 year old son that LOVED the Magic Treehouse series--they both started reading these when they were 6 and have continued. Both of them now LOVE Diary of a Whimpy Kid and my son just started The Chronicles of Narnia and is quite intrigued! He literally is choosing to read his books over video games! [​IMG]

9. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    [email protected]@2four :

I have an almost 8 year old daughter and 9 year old son that LOVED the Magic Treehouse series--they both started reading these when they were 6 and have continued. Both of them now LOVE Diary of a Whimpy Kid and my son just started The Chronicles of Narnia and is quite intrigued! He literally is choosing to read his books over video games! [​IMG]

Oh yes, Chronicles of Narnia - excellent!

The Little House on the Prairie series is good too. Oh, also the Anne of Green Gables series. All very good classics!​

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My ds like books on star wars,dinos,and garfield comics. I love to get him pocket books too with subjects on:trees,mammals,stars,dinosaurs,insects,rocks and so on.

My dd likes the garfield comics,goosebumps,captain underpants or similar books with comics in the story. I get a lot of books at the resale store,so if it catches her attention she will read it. I doubt she would read a big book though like the last harry potter.It was only 758 pages,but she said no thanks,lol....even though she wants to know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by