1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What box do you use?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by rebelcowboysnb, Jan 25, 2009.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

To ship 12 standard eggs in?

2. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    A USPS flatrate box is great!

Michelle

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    priority shoebox but turn box on side. the side up, put the label on it not on the normal front. usually it is cheaper than flatrate but if 2 dz depends on distance and weight.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Why on its side?

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    For a dozen plus eggs, we use the 12 x 12 x9 USPS. That way there is plenty of padding for the sides so no one gets broken eggs. You can order the boxes free from ebay or from post office.
    Sharon

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Is the 12x12x9 the #7 box? That's the one I use. Or the medium flat rate works, but the shipping is usually more on eggs for flat rate.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Yes that's the one. You can also get them free from ebay as well

8. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    Quote:if u put on it's side u can put up to 2dz in it with peanuts around, top, bottom and inbetween cartons. and one dz or less u don't have to do that. sorry i should have specified.

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I used the shoe box once but never again!

I usually pack them in a 7x7x6 with the top sliced off so it fits inside a 11x8.5x5.5.

I wrap them individually in bubble wrap and pack them tightly (but not enough to crush each other) in the smaller box, then tape one of those air cushions over the top. If there are only a few eggs in the box and there's room for them to roll around, i'll tape the wrapped eggs to the inside of the box. Then I put it inside the big box with air cushions, a ton of shredded paper, or scrunched paper around the sides to hold it in place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by