what brand hydrometer/thermometer do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yogalady, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Yogalady

Yogalady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    And do you think that electronic is OK to have in the Little Giant or, another type?

I have heard the Little Giant one is junk so I am looking to purchase and wanted advice...

PS. I have an egg turner now...
    and...I heard instead of opening the bater I could use a small funnel and straw to put the water in to not disturb the eggs. What do you think of that?

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:thanks for making this post!!! i need that same question answered...
    i have an acu-rite thermo/hydrometer...

3. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I think most people use the acu-rite one. I am planning to get one tomorrow, I have 3 different cheapie thermometers here and they are all saying something different, so hopefully a better one will give me a more accurate reading!

4. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    for thermometer I've got the Brinsea spot check. I will never go back to anything else. for humidity I use a digital Flukers hygrometer.

Dan

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I love my Flucker Thermometer/Hygrometer. It is nice and small and take up very little room in the incubator. I have two of them and I did check the reading for humidity and one is off by 5 %. I simply make the adjustment when I take a reading. In this case it says 44 and I have to add 5 points for the actual reading. No matter which unit you use, make sure to check them against an accurate instrument. A mercury thermometer for temperature and here is a link to check the humidity reading.
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_4.htm

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I use the little glass thermometers, and find them to be more accurate than anything digital.

However, for a hydrometer, I went down to PetSmart and picked up one of those $24.99 digital hydrometers used for reptile terrariums. It records highest humidity, and lowest humidity, and has a nice long probe so you can keep the screen outside the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by