What brand of Hygrometer is accurate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Holly31, May 30, 2008.

  1. Holly31

    Holly31 Out Of The Brooder

    75
    14
    31
    May 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm having an awful time finding a hygrometer under $50 that is rated by users as accurate. How accurate should it be? Within 5-10% ? I'm in the desert and our humidity usually runs about 5-8% outdoors, 25% indoors, so this is a concern for my next hatch as the last one was not successful.
    I'm using a Brinsea probe thermometer in a Little Giant 'bator with fan and turner.[​IMG]
     
  2. SusanJoM

    SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

    Hmmmm....could you add a wick to the probe thermometer and get your humidity that way?

    Susan
     
  3. Holly31

    Holly31 Out Of The Brooder

    75
    14
    31
    May 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm a little confused on the wick vs the normal dial type method. I hear something is 60%, then wet it is 85%, and not sure if I'm doing what I"m doing right in the first place.

    I tried to follow the bator directions, but I'm pretty sure I overwatered, because we're pretty dry I never let the water get low and had a large surface area in the pan, although never to the foggy-window point.

    I was wondering if the cigar humidor hygrometers are accuarte enough, or the reptile terrarium brands are good. I've heard Flukers are not accurate, then I've hear of adjustable models - how the heck can I adjust it when I am the one who needs to know what it is?

    If anyone has a good one they can recommend I'd be grateful! [​IMG]
     
  4. gumpsgirl

    gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

    14,107
    24
    311
    Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You could try something that Tuffoldhen suggested to me. I am just using two different brands of hygrometers (both ran between $7 & $8 each). If one reads 52% and the other reads 48% than I am just going to go with a reading right in between the two. I would go with 50%. Hope that helps you out! It sure beats paying a ton for one! [​IMG]
     
  5. SusanJoM

    SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:Ah, for this there is the "salt test".
    If you do a search I think you will find references to how to do it.
    It will tell you if your hygometer is accurate and/or by exactly how many percentage points it is off.

    Susan
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by