What brand of incubator is best?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Macy, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Macy

Macy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2008
    Alabama
    I am looking into purchasing an incubator soon. I will order one by spring 09. My question is: What brand or type of incubator is best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I really like the Hovabator. We have tried the Little Giants, they are ok but hard to keep a steady temp. We also have a Brower Top Hatch but we can not seem to get the temp steady either. So we just bought a Sportsman 1502, and we will see how that works, but I hear great stuff about that. So if you want to stay on the cheaper side, then a Hovabator, if you want to spend a lot of money then the Sportsman. I hope this helps!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  3. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:What are you going to be doing with your bator? How many eggs, etc. The question is really which one works best for you. Like cdeans said, the Brower Top Hatch and the Hovabator didn't work for us, but they may be just right for you.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I like the Brinsea Octagon 40. It always stays a constant temp, its forced air, and I always get great hatches.

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Right now, I'm in love with my homemade "MissPrissy Chic Chick Bator" !!! [​IMG]

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    GQF Sportsman, you can hatch anything.

Steve in NC

7. kenny671

kenny671 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    southwest ohio
    what is a missprissy chic chick bator

8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    little giant with auto egg turner

9. Macy

Macy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2008
    Alabama
    Quote:What are you going to be doing with your bator? How many eggs, etc. The question is really which one works best for you. Like cdeans said, the Brower Top Hatch and the Hovabator didn't work for us, but they may be just right for you.

I'm looking to hatch anywhere from three to a dozen at a time. Hopefully.[​IMG]

10. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Depends on your budget. I like my R-Com 20 for small hatches. It's fully automated and nearly foolproof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by