What brands of appliances would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Nov 9, 2013.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My husband and me have been building a house and plan to be in it by next winter. I'm trying to figure out what brands of appliances to get ahead of time. I've noticed a lot of appliances don't last like they use to.

What would be some good brands to look at for the kitchen appliances. We did decide to get all stainless and the side by side fridge. We will probably go with electric since my dad's house had so many problems with the smell of gas from the stove. I don't want to chance a leak with us having a baby in the house. I'm leaning towards the glass top stove.

My husband wants a front loader washer and dryer that can be stacked. One big issue I have with the washer and dryer is we currently use his parent's HE top loader washer. I hate it. It takes 1 1/2 hours to do one load no matter what the load size is. I've talked to a couple other relatives that have HE washers and theirs took forever and they thought it was from theirs being front loaders. I've noticed most of the washers online are HE.

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Tch, let me know if you find out. One thing I've been doing is buying older appliances and tools off of craigslist. Cheaper and they last longer than the newer things more often than not. For instance: we purchased a lawn mower from Lowe's. It started up fine three times. On the forth time, it refused to start which was an issue other reviewers online had commented on. We purchased a 1960s lawnmower that has been mowing an acre of weedy land for about a year now and is still going strong.

The only time I don't like doing that is when newer appliances are more energy efficient than the predecessors.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    We bought a new dishwasher and well, I have not thown out the old one!! I work around it in the kitchen because I would like to figure out how to fix it and replace the new one.

Be careful of the energy ratings. it is ia joke. THe machnes are compared based on one partiular setting but that setting doesn't get my dishes clean. I am using the last of my old DW detergent so that is not a factor, and the water is the same. I really do have to wash the dishes first before puttig them in, or rinse and stack until loading. My hands are as chapped as if I just washed them by hand. ANd my machine had good reviews. [​IMG]Iwas looking for the model but don't see a umber, it was a maytag. In general the cleaning time is 90-270 minutes-- I"m not joking!!! I cook a lot and can fill a machine 2-3 times a day. Or I used to. Just faster to hand wash now. Need to get gloves to save my hands. THis machine is NOT saving me any money at all. NOt cost efficient to wash the dishes before putting them into the dw to wash again.

Bosch was listed as a very good maker by another source after this one was bought and paid for.

Stove top-- do a thorough review on the glass. I think they shouldn 't be scratched; some need special pans/pots, too. I passed on these long ago. Maybe they are better now-- IDK.

Like you, I won't use gas--

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    We've had good luck with GE appliances

5. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I have always liked Whirlpool appliances. They have lasted long with very few repairs. And GE are also good. None of the newer appliances are going to last as long as the older ones did. Longevity doesn't make the manufacturers money.

6. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I know enough to get warranties on any appliances. My in-laws bought a stove and less than a month later had to get repairs done. When it was on the oven just kept increasing in temperature. They had to unplug it to get it to stop. Their fridge needed repairs a couple months after buying it. The washer had to be fixed also after a year.

I'll look more into the brands mentioned. I told my husband we need to look at ones in-stock to get better ideas of what we want. Even the light fixtures and flooring. I told him some stuff looks different in person.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THose types of warenties shoud come with the purchase price. PErhaps you are thinking of extended warrenties?? FOr after the reg warrenty date is passed.

I was doing some thinking. . . look at German made or european made. THey have tight regulation for keeping stuff out of the trash so go for longevity. I remember looking at a vaccuum that had a 5 year warrently kind of thing.

I might look at commercial dishwashers for better quality, or a german made.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    The other thing to keep in mind is there are fewer manufacturers than there are labels. I think only 3 or 4 companies make washing machines, the rest are relabeled. The relabeled ones can be cheaper or more expensive, so it pays to do your research. I have a variety of appliances in my home. I had a friend who would only buy LG, until she got the fridge from hell. All a fridge has to do is keep food cold, this one needed repair after repair: the company actually replaced it twice! I think extended warranties are probably worth it on dishwasher and washing machines. Those are the only things I have had to have fixed very often. The stoves, dryers, freezers and fridges have been more reliable. I think this is because no water is involved, and they have fewer/no moving parts.

Some of the stores that advertise price matching are flat out lying. They have "exclusive" model numbers that are virtually identical to models that other stores carry, but have very minor cosmetic differences so that they can consider them different model. I believe Walmart is one company that does this. It means it can be difficult to do exact price comparisons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by