What brands of commercial food do u feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Peavy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Peavy

Peavy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2007
    Reno, NV
    HI
    I like to use a laying pellet as a base for my girls' diet. I usually use Layena or when I can get it I use an organic feed. Tonight, being the holiday rush and all, I stopped by a feedstore close to my house, ran in and ordered a big bag of laying pellets. They loaded it in the car wheile I paid and when I got home, it is Farmer's Poultry Feed and I've never heard of it. Kicking myself now for not just going to my usual feedstore for the Layena because the bag is shabby and cheap looking and the pellets seem hard as a rock! Iguess I could put it in the yard as a present to wild rabbits, quail,etc.
    Anyone ever heard of Farmers and if so, what is your opinion?
    Also, please post some of the brands of pellets you think are good.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas, BOK BOK!

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I don't know the brand you're talking about, but I made a similar mistake when I ran out of layer mash and needed something to get us through for a few days. I bought a name brand layer feed, not knowing it was crumbles. The girls didn't really seem to like it all that much. Once the organic feed arrived I dumped the crumbles into the manure spreader for recycling.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It's probably old. Check it good for mold or water damage. If it's hard it
    may have gotten wet.

We use Nutrena and Blue Seal. I like both but the chickens seem to enjoy
    Nutrena crumbles a lot.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I use Nature's Choice, which is an organic feed from Cargill. It's okay! My chickens aren't in love with it, though. [​IMG]

I supplement with lots of yogurt, oats, and kitchen scraps, so they deal with it!

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Layena but I am moving to a all organic local grain based feed.

Henry

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ADM Alliance Pen Pals brands-sometimes I use their 16% Egg Maker pellets, but usually, I like the Advantage Poultry Pellets 22% protein, milled locally. It still has animal protein in it and the pellets are nice and thin and it has almost no dust at all. Love it!
    I also, on occasion, feed them Southern States Super Breeder Crumbles (21% protein, but all grain); also, on occasion, Rockin Rooster Booster pellets for them on-range because it has little calcium and is better for the roosters. It also has animal protein.
    There is no organic here and couldn't afford it if there was.'

Forgot to add that I buy an 11-grain scratch that is marvelous!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  7. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, you all have such choices available to you!

The ONLY feed store in Chicago sells a layer crumble called Egg a Day made by a mill in Decatur, IL. (I can't recall the name of the mill. It's Garvey or something like that.) It seems to be OK; the hens eat it, at least.

My current bag of feed, though, is Nutrena layer crumbles. I was in Marengo, IL with some friends on a fiber-related road trip about a month ago and we stopped at their local feed store to get supplies. Nutrena was what they had on hand, so that's what I took.

It was kind of funny driving home in this huge station wagon filled with 4 women, 2 spinning wheels, bags of fiber, bags of yarn, and...bags of chicken feed! [​IMG]

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I use Purina Layena

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I like layer pellets the best - I buy crumbles if they are out.

It depends on what town I am in when I need chicken food they each carry different brands.

Brand Names are ---> AGWAY, BLUE SEAL, DUMOR

10. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I get mine from a local milling company. The good thing is they will mix what you want if you let them know in plenty of time (2-3 days) They also have Purina brands and Mizuri(which is very pricey anywhere) I sometimes use each of these. If I happen to allow myself to run out, we have a feed store closer to us than the milling company and I will buy enough there to get me by until I can get to the milling co.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by