What breed am I? (1mo old chick)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

This little guy came from Ideal Hatchery. Was in our order of bantam cochins but I know for sure we got 2 Buff Brahmas & some Dark Brahmas in the batch. at first we assumed this one was a brahma as well but now that he's older there's a VERY noticable size/weight difference, this guy is a CHUNK. He's also not feathering in like the others and now that the comb is more visible i can see it's not a brahma comb. So what do we have?

Feathered legs
    [​IMG]
    SLOW feathering (excuse the bald butt, he was a pasty butt baby)
    [​IMG]
    Thick single comb
    [​IMG]
    and HUGE
    [​IMG]

2. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

We actually got a few Partridges(same order) and they're totally different, and their feathering is a million times better than this guy. he's similar to the coloring of the dark brahma chicks but then there's the non-brahma attributes. he's just weird, lol.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    does everything (besides color) match up to the other partridge cochins?? I think you have said it a few times. He doesn't look like the other cochins, because they are females. In some color patterns the males color in different than the females, partridge is one of these colors. Males also tend to feather in slower than females, but not always. Hope you get the cutie figured out [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's what I was thinking also, the difference between male and female.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I didn't even think about the color difference! That would be wonderful if the others were all girls, they're by far our favorites. I will have to keep my fingers crossed for him to be a partridge. thanks guys!

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Definitely NOT Partridge, looks to me like a LF Dark Brahma Cockerel with a single comb.
    partridge Cochin chicks (not my picture), they are a really brown/chocolate/chestnut color

Dark Brahma chick( not my pic either) notice the grey mossy primaries coming in? That means that this chick is a female while your's with the dark primaries is male. With Dark Brahmas the male and female coloration is very different...

9. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think he's a Partridge Cochin, either. Our Partridge Cochins are a beautiful minky brown, and we ordered a hen and roo, so that's what we should have... Time will tell!

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Wanted to update. This little guy(named Fatty now) looks to be feathering in Silver Laced(cochin) so he will be hanging around. He is feathering in WAY slower than everyone else and even still has some bald elbows showing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by