What breed am I, at four weeks? (heavy pics).

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by xC0000005, Feb 28, 2012.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    We'll start off with a couple of barred rocks - no guesses needed, just including these as a "90% accuracy isn't 100% accuracy" Sorry for the poor quality pictures - they are a lot more docile at a week when ten steps moves them a foot.

No guesses needed - just to show difference in color:
    Here is DoodleDo. Not pictured is the fact that his comb is pink.
    [​IMG]

Next we have Over: - for anyone who hasn't seen barred rocks this one is black with white stripes.
    [​IMG]

Ok. Now the ones I need help or guesses on: #1 Definitely another rooster -

[​IMG]

#2 Now a speckled one - this one is literally half the size of any of the others. It eats constantly and is feathered fine, it just seems smaller:
    [​IMG]

#3 Next up one that has lacing:
    [​IMG]

#4 One that started out just like the others and now has red and white:
    [​IMG]

#5 And finally the meanest chick we've ever owned, ever. It's the size of a shoe and I swear I'd cook it up with dumplings if it wasn't so small:
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The only one I can guess on is the last chick, your meanie. It looks just like my speckled sussex (especially if it has white on its chest). Mine were mean little turds until they were about a week and a half old. Now at about 3 weeks or so, they're sweet as pie. Good luck- hopefully someone will recognize your other breeds and chime in....

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    What type of comb do #1 and #2 have? They may be Silver and Golden laced Wyandotte. #3 is a Columbian something...Light Brahma, Delaware or any number of other breeds, what are the options of breeds where you got the chicks from? #4 is a Red Sex Link.

4. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    I looked online at the different types of comb and 1 and 2 don't really match either - they have a wide flat spot where the comb is developing, but it has neither spikes nor bumps or ridges. On the one I'm sure is a boy the whole thing is pink. I'll try and snap some pictures this afternoon. They sure don't cooperate (except the RSL, which has a really nice personality). And in case anyone wonders what I'd classify as "mean", mean is NOT pecking at fingers when something 200x your size tries to pick you up, or chirping loudly. Mean is leaving the other chicks to come peck the hand. Mean is hopping out of the cage to come peck the leg. Mean is BITING and continuing to bite until we leave.
    It is nice and normal around the other chicks, neither picked on nor picking on them (other than the occasional "high head, low head" encounter they all seem to have).

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    #2 Is hard to tell from this angle
    #3 may be a Delaware (too early for gender)
    #4 is a cute lil Red SL pullet
    #5 is a Gold Laced Wyandotte

I've noticed that hathery Wyandottes are mean mean MEAN. I will never buy one from a hatchery again, and gave mine away at week 5 because I couldn't stand the little cuss anymore. That's what you get when you have non-selective breeding.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    #3 Looks like a Columbian Wyandotte, if I had to take a guess. I would say Delaware, but I have a Delly pullet near the same age, and your chicks has a much stronger beige color on its head than mine.
    #4 I want to say Red Star
    #5 Kind of looks like a Speckled Sussex

Not sure on the other two, but those three are my best guesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by