What breed am I?? RIR or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JesNflock, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I was given this Roo yesterday and was told that he is a year old and was thought to be a RIR...He has a flat comb that flops over, almost covering his right eye, without any points at all. His legs are a very light almost white. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

[​IMG]
    This first pic was taken last night...there wasn't a whole lot of light and this was the best pic we could get at the time with him moving around so much lol
    [​IMG]
    Here he is today...sorry it's kind of fuzzy

[​IMG]

Hopefully I can get some more/ better pics later

I will update as I get new info/pics

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    He looks like a PArtridge something. That comb isn't normal on any chicken that I've ever seen. Could be a crossbred that caused the comb to turn out that way.

3. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Yeah, I've bean scouring the Internet to find a comb similar and I haven't had any luck so far...

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am not sure what he is. But someone could have attempted to dub him. If they did, they did a very poor job. incase you don't know what dubbing is it is where you cut the wattles shorter (sometimes almost completley gone) and the points of the comb. They usually do this with old English game bantam roosters. Ihave never seena nybody dub a large fowl chicken. Maybe they were trying to prevent him getting frost bite. Or maybe he had frostbite and the points either fell off or were cut off. And then there is always a chance it is some type of mutation from a cross breeding.

5. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Hmmm...I hadn't thought about that he might have been dubbed...He does have a dark spot on his left earlobe that looks like it might possibly be frostbite or maybe an injury? I haven't had any personal experience with frostbite up to this point. Would the wattles and comb heal real rounded like that when dubbed? I definitely need to get more pics of him up close...

Edited to add: He does stick his whole head in the water, including comb, so frostbite is a good possibility. I think I need to raise his water up so he can't continue to submerge it. lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Here is what a chicken that has been dubbed looks like, if is done neat, sometimes it doesn't always look so neat.
    [​IMG]
    BTW not my picture

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your rooster is not a RIR. He is a crossbred of some sort - possibly game in the mix.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    He didn't look like my other Roo,Clay, who was a RIR, but he was the only one I'd had any experience with so...hence my wonder.

My RIR Clay...
    [​IMG]

Right now my main focus is a good protector for my girls (so I hope he turns out to be a good one), but I was hoping I could narrow down a breed...Mixed is ok by me..he may pass down that funny looking comb though if he breeds hmmm...I had planned to hatch eggs from my RIR, but I may hold off on any hatching.

Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by