What Breed am I?

jenangelcat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
We bought two chicks from a guy down the road. He said they are Ameraucana but there seems to be a common misconception about the labeling of these birds.

They are grey with a little bit of brown on the breast. Is the grey one in the photo Ameraucana, easter egger or something else? (the other is a barred rock).

IMG_5263.jpg

Last edited:
The blue one might possibly be an Ameraucana, but I'm just gonna say, they are both Easter Eggers.

But they're pretty...

Sorry the one behind is a barred rock. I don't have a pic of the other grey one. When dh gets home I'll try and get them both in a pic together.

The blue one looks to me like an Ameraucana - proper comb type, color, and legs. But the problem is that it is clean faced (no muffs or beard) which can indeed happen. There's a well known breeder here in WA who even (unknowingly?) sells BBS Ameraucanas who throw clean faced offspring.

So technically it is an Easter Egger, but you're guaranteed for a blue egg.
wink.png

Is the lack of bird and muff the only thing making them not Ameracuanas? I just went and had a closer looksie at them this morning and they both definitely have a little beard and muff. I don't remember seeing on them the last time I took the pic but it's visible now. So cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom