What Breed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenangelcat, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    We bought two chicks from a guy down the road. He said they are Ameraucana but there seems to be a common misconception about the labeling of these birds.

They are grey with a little bit of brown on the breast. Is the grey one in the photo Ameraucana, easter egger or something else? (the other is a barred rock).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The blue one might possibly be an Ameraucana, but I'm just gonna say, they are both Easter Eggers.

But they're pretty...

3. jenangelcat

Sep 12, 2010
    Sorry the one behind is a barred rock. I don't have a pic of the other grey one. When dh gets home I'll try and get them both in a pic together.

4. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    ther are EE

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Sorry I assumed (as well as the other poster) that those two were the two you were referencing.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The blue one looks to me like an Ameraucana - proper comb type, color, and legs. But the problem is that it is clean faced (no muffs or beard) which can indeed happen. There's a well known breeder here in WA who even (unknowingly?) sells BBS Ameraucanas who throw clean faced offspring.

So technically it is an Easter Egger, but you're guaranteed for a blue egg. [​IMG]

7. jenangelcat

Sep 12, 2010
    Is the lack of bird and muff the only thing making them not Ameracuanas? I just went and had a closer looksie at them this morning and they both definitely have a little beard and muff. I don't remember seeing on them the last time I took the pic but it's visible now. So cute!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by