What breed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alleyjazz, Nov 7, 2010.

1. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I got two of these in a rainbow layer mix. They are 12 weeks old and much smaller than the other birds in the mix. They are also really fiesty. I recently moved the cage from my garage to the big girl coop, and this little one tries to escape and run with the big girls every time I open the door. She dosen't seem to be intimidated at all. Their tails are quite long for their size too. Please help me identify the breed. Sorry I couldn't get better pictures. I hope these are good enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Could it be a bantam Easter Egger?

3. alleyjazz

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    It never occurred to me that it could be an EE. I'm very new to chickens. I believe it has a pea comb, but no muffs or beard and the legs are yellow and black. I got two confirmed EE's in the bunch. These two have the same type of comb, but the other two have green legs. One was a roo that was rehomed and the other is yellow and white. I would love to have another EE hen.

4. alleyjazz

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Sorry to bump this myself but I was hoping to get some more feedback on the possible breed. There are not supposed to be bantams in this mix but anything is possible. Does everyone concur that this is a bantam EE?

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The thing about EEs is they can look like just about any color, variety, whatever. The one common gene is they can be linked back to an Araucana in their bloodline. Even the Ameraucana (true) is a breed developed from the Araucana. The EE is just a mutt that has that genentic link. So, they can have any chicken appearance possible. I have a beautiful girl who has this buff color that is overcast with a bluish gray and a blue head. We call her Pigeon because that color looks like some of the wild pigeons I have seen. How to replicate this color is beyond me. I would love to, but I don't even know if it is possible unless you had the same parents that she came from. What happens is they end up looking similar to one or the other parent.
    Also, this was funny when I hatched chicks this spring out of my EE roo and my Dark Cornish hens. I hatched a trio. The cockerel looked just like his dad except no beard and had yellow legs (dad was bearded and had green legs). The two girls that hatched ended up with beards, same coloring as the moms, and green legs. So, go figure how it all works and how many genes are sex linked and so forth. Therefore, the possibilities with this mutt breed, EE is endless.

I hope that answers your question. You may just have to wait until she lays and egg and see what color it is. And even then, she may lay a light brown one even if she is and EE. They don't always lay green or blue. I know that doesn't help, but there it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by