What breed am I

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by breeze27, Oct 11, 2013.

1. breeze27

breeze27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi all can anyone tell me what breed this hen might be ? I brought her a couple days back as just a mixed breed and I think she's just a gorgeous young lady
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She is a beauty!
    The rose comb and body shape make me think she has some Wyandotte in the mix, but Wyandottes also have yellow legs and hers aren't. By the way, does she have scaly mites on her legs? I can't see them well but they just look funky.

Other than the Wyandotte, I got nothing. I'd bet there is some partridge colored bird back there somewhere, just from my own backyard breeding throwing kinda similar colored birds. One reason I love breeding mixes, you get pretty surprises like this!

1 person likes this.
  3. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    :D thanks :)
    I don't know I'm new to chickens only brought these the other day but the breeder said they are healthy hens??
    she's all friendly until she sees the phone then she's outta there!!
    I'll get a better picture of her legs later on when she wants some company :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Pretty girl, the color patterns the mixes have are so interesting, wish we could duplicate them. She does look like she has scaly leg mites. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention is a link to the BYCs Learning Center Article on treating them. You might also want to trim her toe nails. You can clip them with dog clippers, like a dog's, just take a little off at a time and watch you don't quick her, or grind or file them if you'd rather.

6. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Oh wow!! Thank you for all the advice I never knew I could cut her nails I thought they were long
    Il do that tonight as she settles to make it easier
    Thanks also I'll read up on that and treat it!
    Shouldn't have put so much faith in the breeders advice I guess :/
    But lucky I have so much on Hand with BYC!!

7. KilnChick

KilnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Kiln, Ms
    This is my tiny sweet Pogo.
    Any guessers or knowers on her breed? She's a teeny tiny little girl. I don't think she even weighs a pound, and if so, that's it. And she is full grown.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    KilnChick it might be best to start your own thread. It will get too confusing on this thread talking about two different birds which is not polite to the original poster.

9. breeze27

Sep 13, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    I did the same thing on a different thread, being new to the forum I didn't understand and got a tad confused :p haha

10. KilnChick

KilnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Kiln, Ms
    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by 2 different birds or being impolite? I just thought this was a thread for those who needed help identifying a breed? I didn't realize it belonged to someone so I apologize if I offended anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by