What breed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roostereggs, Dec 8, 2013.

1. roostereggs

roostereggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is my first attempt posting a photo, so bear with me if it doesn't work. :/

I wish I had a better photo, but the green is shimmery and some of the dark red is shimmery copper in the sun. He has the same beetle green lacing on his chest, which you can't see here. His legs and feet are much more yellow than in the photo. He has a single comb and brown to brownish-red eyes.

He has a pleasant demeanor...avoids me but makes sure his girls eat first. Unless I feed them almonds, his favorite treat!

My neighbor found him out in the desert and rescued him, then gave him to the previous home owners of our house (who fed them corn scratch (only). [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Big red/black bird with yellow legs and single comb my first vote goes to Rhode Island Red, or some sort of production red or mix. He is a pretty boy and it sounds like he takes good care of his girls.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

At first glance he looks like a Rhode Island Red but I am not sure.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    More likely a Production Red than a RIR, or at the very least a poor quality RIR. He is lacking the characteristic "brick" shape of a heritage RIR and the green lacing in the breast feathers and elsewhere is a major fault in a RIR.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a classic Barnyard Mix. As long as he's respectful of you and good to the ladies, that makes him a keeper in my book!

7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    My vote goes for RIR mutt as well. He looks like my production RIR's as long as he doesn't act like them too he sounds like a keeper!

8. roostereggs

roostereggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Thank you! I have been curious since we moved in, but even more so now that I have 11 of his babies in the bator. He has hit the bullseye on EVERY egg we have cracked open for the past two months. Now I know who all my peeps are!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by