What breed and color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilverDuck284, Feb 1, 2014.

1. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I swapped a BO hen yesterday for an Ameracauna hen, and upon further inquiry I have to wonder if she's not an EE. On the other hand, could she be a non standard color of Ameracauna? She lays blue eggs (so I was told, haven't gotten one yet), a pea comb, muffs, beard, and slate legs. But she's not one of the colors listed. In fact, I have no idea what this color/pattern is even called. But I read somewhere that if you cross the atandard colors you can get mixed colors that are still -technically- purebred.

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm perfectly fine with whatever she is, I'm excited about the blue eggs. I'd just like to have my facts strait so I don't go spreading misinformation about the breed. Thanks for any help and if you need more pics, just let me know.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most birds people call Ameraucana are EEs and essentially mutts so could be any color. What people are going for is egg color, not feather color.

3. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I've seen a lot of threads asking is it one or the other, but it seems that EE's tend to be missing one or more of the traits I listed. Such as wrong color legs, or wrong comb.

In any case. Is there a name for this color/pattern of feathers?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

To be an EE all a hen has to do is lay a colored egg - blue, green or pinkish.

Ameraucana hen come in certain colors and lay blue eggs

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like a EE. No certain color.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's an Easter egger, and like most EE hens, there's no specific name for her color.

1 person likes this.
  7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Her legs are green, not slate. Slate is much more of a blue, grey color than that. She's a pretty Easter Egger.

8. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks for clarifying, and I agree, she's very pretty. Thank you.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've only had one. Mine has a lot more white. I don't really care the color. She's a nice mellow bird and has laid a huge green egg from the beginning. That's all that counts. She's been through a couple predator attacks and still hangs in there. She's also gone broody and raised clutches several times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by