What breed and gender? 3 chickens to be identified, please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heksa, Jun 21, 2010.

1. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    My husband brought these chickens from a local farm store about a week after Easter, so they are about 2.5 – 3 months old, I think. We are very new to keeping chickens and would appreciate help identifying them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think they are? Is there any rooster among them? Are they all the same kind?

Thanks for any help.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I don't see any obvious roosters. By that age, a rooster should have large comb and wattles. So, the good news is that you have have three hens. Most likely. [​IMG]

The black and white one in the middle looks like a Dominique to me.

The gold one, probably a Buff Orpington. Although possibly a Buff Something Else. What color are her legs? A Buff Orpington will have whitish legs.

The white one, well, that's a toughie. I don't know much about white birds, and they all look alike to me. Could be a White Plymouth Rock or a Cornish Cross. Or something completely different. I'm thinking it's not a Leghorn. Too big. But I'm not an expert!

Congrats, lovely birds!

3. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    They are so cute! Congratulations!! The first one looks just like my Buff Orpington... a very sweet girl. Enjoy them [​IMG]

4. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I agree with Lauraloo. Barred Rocks have single combs, so do Marans. They are cute little things, and those are great photos! [​IMG]

5. heksa

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Thank you very much! Now I can do some more research. We were thinking that the black chicken having a different comb, could be a rooster. But I guess that's not the case. [​IMG]

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I'd say all pullets. My thoughts are BO, white rock & barred rock.

7. heksa

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    So, what kind of the comb does my black chicken have? Is it a rose, a pea or maybe a buttercup?

I'm so excited to learn a bit more about my chickens! They are truely precious. Very cute little creatures. And that black one is our favorite. Very tame and funny.

8. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    Very nice photos, and very pretty birds. [​IMG]

9. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:The blackish one is a Dominique, smaller bird than Plymouth Rocks but will look almost the same as the barred ones except for the combs. Dominiques have rose combs whereas Rocks have single combs.

Your buff one could be an Orpington, check the color of the legs - white/pink means orp, yellow could be rock.

As for your white one, looks like a white rock but it's so much bigger than your Dominique I wonder if it might not be a cornish cross? Hope not if you're wanting egg layers - cornish are really meat birds and don't live very long.

ETA [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. heksa

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:Thank you so much, mom2jedi. I'm 100% sure my black chicken is Dominique and the buff one is an Orpington, it has whitish legs.

As for the white one - it is a bit older (maybe a week or even two), the Dominique was always the smallest/youngest. I checked the Cornish Cross and it's supposed to have a pea comb. I do not know how the pea comb looks, but my chicken has a comb looking exactly like the Orpington's one, which is considered single, I think. How can I tell the difference?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by