What Breed and Gender Are my Ducks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheLezzyChicks, Mar 10, 2014.

1. TheLezzyChicks

TheLezzyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    I bought two ducklings awhile back. One was grey and crested and the other was all black. I honestly don't have a clue on how to tell the gender of ducks. I really dont even know if this is the right section. I bought them thinking they were a Cayuga, and a Pekin. Surprise surprise. They turned out to be all black with a white chest, and the other an ashy grey color. I would love to know the breed and gender of each of these ducks for breeding purposes. I get one egg a day so I have at least one female. They are each about ten months old. Thank you any help is appreciated :3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bhwk40

bhwk40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2013
    North-East Ohio
    im gonna guess the dark one is a swedish , and guess the crested one is your egg layer

3. TheLezzyChicks

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    Do you think their both female?

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Do they quack loudly or make more of a raspy sound?

5. TheLezzyChicks

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    It's hard to say. It's more of a loud quaking. Their constantly makin hung noise though.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If they are loud they are females.

7. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    The one with a crest is a "Crested Duck," probably a Blue Swedish Crested. I used to have a pair of Mallard Crested hybrids. The crest is a defect that can show up in any breed of domestic duck and is something that some breeders try to reproduce because of the novelty of the crest. Because of the light gray overall color I would say it's a female. Males tend to be flashier with a bright wing patch and a few curled tail feathers and the females are plain, duller with straight tail feathers. Here is a link to another thread on Backyard Chickens that shows a male and a female crested duck side by side at the bottom. The female is the light overall golden colored one. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/347128/crested-khaki-campbell-drake-s
    By the way, read up on crested ducks and learn as much as you can about them if you plan on breeding them (which I don't recommend because of the fact that a crest is a genetic defect in the domestic breeds which can cause many deformities, high mortality in and coordination problems in the ducklings and injuries to the female if you don't pair the right birds.). [​IMG] The black one with white looks like a female also but I have no idea on breed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. TheLezzyChicks

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    Thank you that was the information I was looking for :3

9. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Glad I could help. Your ducks are really cute. [​IMG]