What breed and gender are my recently bought pullets and cockerel(s)?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aayan Mirza, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Aayan Mirza

Aayan Mirza Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2017
    Hi, I recently bought 4 chickens, all young, in their pullets and cockerel ages. The guy selling had no idea about the breeds, and he just had them by flock. So I was hoping someone here can help.

Here they are.

(1/4)
    -Cockerel
    -Has beautiful black and white pattern on body and fur.
    -White earlobes
    -Yellowish legs
    20170924_115258.jpg
    20170924_115252.jpg

(2/4)
    - Not sure about the gender since it already has a comb developing, would appreaciate if someone can help with that too.
    - Dark Orange/ light brown and black speckled pattern on body
    -Blackish legs
    20170924_115517.jpg
    20170924_115732.jpg

(3/4)
    - Pullet
    - Dark Brown colour, RIR maybe?
    20170924_115836.jpg
    20170924_115823.jpg 20170924_115822.jpg

(4/4)
    -Pullet
    - Light brown/Orangish feathers.
    - Has black on her tail side in her otherwise entirely light brown/orangish body.
    -the bravest and smartest of all. Takes risks, first one to come out of the coop when I opened them to free range the very first time.
    -Pecks at my fingers when opening, closing the coop, or even when feeding them. Most active, but quite naughty.

20170924_115204.jpg
    20170924_115203.jpg

Would really appreciate the help. Also, if possible, can someone please take a guess at their ages? I know they are young, but how young they might be? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    1 and 2 are mixed breeds, both boys.

3 does look like a RIR pullet.
    4 looks like a mixed breed pullet.

Do you have other chickens as ideal cockerel/hen ratio is 1:8, and you'll likely have to get rid of at least one of your boys.

Aayan Mirza and SeaPolka like this.
  3. Aayan Mirza

Aayan Mirza Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2017
    Thank you so much. I have other chickens but they are Asil, and I keep them separate from these. So no, don't have them in the ideal ratio because of the space issues. Guess would either have to build something for them or make one of the roosters my dinner or something. But thanks a lot for the reply. Any idea what might be their ages? And also in the mixed ones, is there any dominant breed you can notice that might be one of the parent, I would take any wild guesses. Thanks once again.

4. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    The second pullet looks as though she could have some RIR in there, as she has the same modifier pushing black into the tail for an even gold colour, but she lacks the mahogany gene that makes your other pullet such a deep red colour.

The white cockerel (who is quite striking) looks as though he could be a red sex link cockerel (he has silver, but is hiding gold, see the cream colour on the neck?)

With that in mind, if they are from a mixed barnyard flock, it's unlikely that their parents were necessarily pure; most of my free-range laying flock are mixed breeds or rejects from my breeding pens, it's always a fun surprise when I hatch from that group.

I'd approximate their ages as around 16 weeks. They don't look quite as mature as my current 18 week olds but are far more grown than my 12 weekers.

Aayan Mirza likes this.
  5. Aayan Mirza

Aayan Mirza Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2017
    Yup, I get it what you are saying. Do see the cream now. And same goes for that pullet, I thought it might be a mix of buff orpington and RIR, but I don't care much for the breeds, I just love having chickens, any chickens. Thanks a lot, you have been a great help, with age and all too. :)

Sneebsey likes this.
  6. Aayan Mirza

Aayan Mirza Just Hatched

Sep 23, 2017
    The cockerel could very well be a mix of Sussex and red sex links. Has traits of both I guess.

7. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2017
    #1: Some kind of mixed breed cockerel
    #2: I have no idea on breed or sex
    #3: Rhode island red mix pullet
    #4: Orpington(?) mix pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by