What breed and gender are these 4-5 week old chicks

CluckyCarpenter

Hatching
May 24, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Alright, I confess, I made a big mistake when I decided to bring my three boys along to pick up some chicks. I was completely unprepared for the constant begging and puppy dog eyes. The game plan was just to get three, but somehow we ended up coming home with nine from a straight run.

In the store, the plan was to give a few of the birds away to some friends who are into chickens like I am, but I need a hand figuring out what kind we got here. A few of my buddies can and want to keep roosters, but my county laws say no can do for me.

At the moment, I've only got pictures of four, because I didn't want to ruffle the feathers of the ones who were catching some z's. My next big project is to build a spacious 6x8 coop, so if we can't identify them I could wait until they are older. I'm hoping to have knocked out by this weekend, so these guys can have a bit more leg room.

I think one of these little fellas is a cockerel, seeing as it was roughhousing and plucking at the other chicks' feathers. My current brood includes two Rhode Island Reds and an Easter Egger that a friend gifted me. This is my first time sexing and guessing chicken breeds, so any advice you could shoot my way would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 34
I think they're around a month old. After work, I managed to take some pictures; kept the best ones for you all. Thanks for the advice on the first one from the last post, I agree! Luckily none of my boys are too attached to it. Getting a clear shot of that potential cockerel from my last post was a challenge though. It's incredibly friendly and its feather colors are pretty in the right light. I'm not sure if it shows in the pics though.

Sadly, my coworker's rooster got taken out by one of his dogs recently. Which was devastating for his wife who loved that bird. He's told me stories about her feeding, petting it and talking to it all the time. So if our suspected cockerel really is a rooster, it's going to have a great life. To prevent a repeat, they're setting up a run on their property.

I think I've covered all of our feathered friends in the photos. Any ID help is welcome. A few pairs of them look pretty similar, hopefully I didn't get the photos mixed up! I deleted alot of duplicates and blurry ones. Some of them moved so fast there were no chickens in them lol. Can't wait to start building their new coop tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_200326.jpg
    IMG_20230525_200326.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230525_200547.jpg
    IMG_20230525_200547.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230525_200127.jpg
    IMG_20230525_200127.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230525_195752.jpg
    IMG_20230525_195752.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230525_195616.jpg
    IMG_20230525_195616.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230525_195959.jpg
    IMG_20230525_195959.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230525_195454.jpg
    IMG_20230525_195454.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230525_195319.jpg
    IMG_20230525_195319.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230525_200445.jpg
    IMG_20230525_200445.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 20
I think I've covered all of our feathered friends in the photos. Any ID help is welcome. A few pairs of them look pretty similar, hopefully I didn't get the photos mixed up! I deleted alot of duplicates and blurry ones. Some of them moved so fast there were no chickens in them lol. Can't wait to start building their new coop tomorrow!
I think, but could well be wrong on one or two of them;
1 maybe cockerel, would need a better view of the comb to be more sure, 2 pullet,
3 cockerel, 4 pullet, 5 pullet, 6 on the fence, 7 pullet, 8 on the fence, 9 pullet.
However, with 2 & 9, I'm not sure if their colouring could actually mean male. The combs and general build look like pullets though.

I think, but could well be wrong on one or two of them;
1 maybe cockerel, would need a better view of the comb to be more sure, 2 pullet,
3 cockerel, 4 pullet, 5 pullet, 6 on the fence, 7 pullet, 8 on the fence, 9 pullet.
However, with 2 & 9, I'm not sure if their colouring could actually mean male. The combs and general build look like pullets though.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on each Sussex! I appreciate your input. I'll try to get some better pictures of number one,two, and nine! Since you mentioned it, number one does seem to have a more prominent comb than the other light colored chicks. When I take the next set of pictures I'll do it outside maybe the better lighting would help.

The rusty red color across the shoulders on the whiteish birds is usually rooster colorings (2nd and last pics). The black is definitely a roo (3rd pic).

I think they're around a month old. After work, I managed to take some pictures; kept the best ones for you all. Thanks for the advice on the first one from the last post, I agree! Luckily none of my boys are too attached to it. Getting a clear shot of that potential cockerel from my last post was a challenge though. It's incredibly friendly and its feather colors are pretty in the right light. I'm not sure if it shows in the pics though.

Sadly, my coworker's rooster got taken out by one of his dogs recently. Which was devastating for his wife who loved that bird. He's told me stories about her feeding, petting it and talking to it all the time. So if our suspected cockerel really is a rooster, it's going to have a great life. To prevent a repeat, they're setting up a run on their property.

How do they look now?

Back
Top Bottom