What breed and gender are these two?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ashmuddy, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Ashmuddy

Ashmuddy New Egg

Oct 31, 2011
    I got these two from a family friends farm. My son loved them, so these are the ones we took home. I have no clue what breed they could be and since my pretty EE turned out to be a roo, I'm nervous. [​IMG]

Ironman
    [​IMG]

Honey
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Ironman is a light brahma and may be a roo depending on age... do you have any idea how old they are? I'm not sure about Honey's breed, but she looks like a lady - does she have feathered feet too?

3. Ashmuddy

Ashmuddy New Egg

Oct 31, 2011
    Not too sure on their ages. I've not gotten any eggs yet, so either too young or boys. Honey does not have feathered feet I *think* she hatched in the summer. Ironman is pretty big about twice the size of honey and a bit smaller than my EE roo.

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    rooster and hen, the hens a buff orpington? and the roo is light braham i think

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

The light Brahma looks like a rooster? and the other looks like a buff orpington hen.

6. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    hello, I just have a question, I have one just like the white and black one and it was sold to me as a giant cochin. gees I so hope it is not a brama. we have a brama again sold to us as a cochin....... I do wonder if this white one is a cochin though.. any chance it could be a cochin are you sure it is a brama, I say with a hopfull voice...we also got 2 black giant cochins and two brown and black ones that are supposed to be giant cochin's

7. Ashmuddy

Ashmuddy New Egg

Oct 31, 2011
    Ok, so I have two roos and one hen...

Is this going to be a problem later on?

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Can you show a picture?

The white one is definitely a LB. There are such things as columbian cochins. You might have bought that.. They would look different though. More rounded.

[​IMG]
    Columbian cochin

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:Take a look at the comb. If it is a pea comb, it is probably a Brahma. If it is a single comb, it is probably a Cochin.

10. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:Honey appears to be a Buff Orp pullet. Not sure with breed on Ironman but the "man" part does look right as it looks like a roo. Brahma or Cochin. Are the leg feathers only on one side and down one toe? Perhaps a closer picture of the feet there may help spot which breed is more likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by