What breed and gender are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Adolfo Sanchez, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Adolfo Sanchez

Adolfo Sanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    Hi everyone, I have a couple questions, I got these to chickens as babies about four months ago, without knowing the breed or the gender, could you guys help me out, I'm very sure the first one is a rooster, and I would think the second one is a hen if it wasn't for the tail feathers, they look very rooster to me, any inputs? what breed do you think they are? and are they the same breed? Please help. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think the top is a roo and the bottom photo is a hen (even with the funky tail feathers...which could be from molting, just weird feathers, or the roo pestering her too much).

As to breed...I'm not sure. They don't look like my Delawares, might be Light Sussex?

I leave the question to breed to others.

Lady of McCamley

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Those are hatchery Delaware chickens rooster over hen.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They could be hatchery quality Delawares, or they could just be mixed breed birds with barred ancestry. The first one is a rooster, the second I'm thinking hen but not positive. Why are their feathers so bad looking? Do they have more space than those cages?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The top bird is a male, the bottom bird is a female. They look like hatchery quality Delawares.

6. Adolfo Sanchez

Adolfo Sanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida
    yes, I just put them in the cage to take the pictures and then back to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by