What breed and gender? Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ColoradoPeeps, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ColoradoPeeps

ColoradoPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Grovetown, GA
    So the person we got this one from said it was an EE, then said she may have given us a Blue or Black Copper Marans. Some feedback from a previous post has us thinking it's an Australorp but we really don't know for sure. Beautiful colors on the black feathers when the sun hits it...green, purple, and blue. It's about 7 1/2 weeks. The comb and waddles have us worried it may be a roo but it sure acts like a pullet. Please let us know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With that comb/wattle at seven weeks would vote roo. Am not seeing any face feathering so X2 probably not an EE, or any feathers on the feet (not all Marans have them though) which seem pink/white on bottom? so X2 could be an Australorp.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...can you get a nice, up close shot of that comb? It doesn't quite look like a single comb...and EEs are mutts, so they don't always have muffs or complete pea combs...the comb and wattles do look awful red for such a youngster, but I have been surprised by babies before, so I am always hesitant to give a gender answer till later on. Also, can we have a shot of the bottoms of its feet? that is the easiest way to tell australorp (from jersey giant, anyway).

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

6. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    I would say a EE cockerel because of the beard size at that young of age.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I don't think it is a australorp and it does not appear to be an Easter egger. It is however a rooster.

8. ColoradoPeeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Grovetown, GA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Here are the comb and foot pics as requested...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SpringPeeper

SpringPeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    Since it hatched from a blueish egg, my guess would be that the hen was an EE and the rooster probably something like an Australorp.

10. ColoradoPeeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Grovetown, GA
    We are not sure the color of the egg since she said she may have mixed up the chicks at some point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by