what breed and gender in your opinion

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pkitten60, Jul 28, 2011.

1. pkitten60

pkitten60 New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi all I have 4 chickens not to sure on sex or breed I could use all the help I could get. they are 4 months old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Iam going to say pullets and all EE's except the all black one I would say a black australorp.

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Pullets. First one looks like it may be a mixed breed to me. 2nd is a black Austrolorp, 3rd looks like a brahma/EE mix, last one is a black sexlink.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. pkitten60

pkitten60 New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Okay What is a EE??? As I said I am VERY new to this. I had a broody hen I got fertile eggs for her to sit on and these are what I got, plus 2 roos. Wasnt so sure on these 4. what about the one with feather legs we call her Chaps.

5. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    EE is Easter Egger. They usually have pea combs, puffy cheeks and green or slate legs. They are related to the Ameraucauna breed, but are not a recognized breed themselves, as a lot of them are actually crosses. Your 3rd one pictured that you said you call Chaps is the one I think looks like an EE/light Brahma cross, due to her coloration, pea comb, beard and muffs, and furry feet. [​IMG] She has similar colors to your first one, but that one has a straight comb and no muffs/beard, so I would just call the first one a mixed breed, while the 3rd one would be considered an EE, and may carry a blue or green egg gene. [​IMG]

6. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Btw, the 3 who have red combs already are likely to start laying soon. Your EE still have a very light comb. THey tend to take longer to start laying, so that's typical. [​IMG] I have 3 EE's that are 4 mos old. 2 have gotten red combs in the last few weeks, and I'm hoping they start laying soon! I can't wait to see what color eggs I get!

Oh, and I looked more closely and it looks like Chaps has a straight/pea comb cross like one of my EE's has. So, I change my guess from Brahma to cochin cross for where the feathered feet came from. [​IMG] She may still lay green eggs, but since she doesn't have a pea comb, the blue egg gene is less likely. I'm really hoping for green eggs from my pea/straight comb girl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

8. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    EE = Easter Egger