What breed and gender is my mystery chick?

Viia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
I found this little one at work (a restaurant with a pond, ducks, chickens and rabbits). She (I call her a she all the time because I really want her to be a she!) was wandering around peeping by herself, running under people's feet, so after a while we put her into a hutch to see if mommy would show up. None of the hens took any notice. I took her home in the evening and she's been with me ever since. As I type this, she is napping in my lap.

The chickens at work look like Brahma bantams, but I'm no expert so I may be wrong. There are 1 dark and 2 buff hens, and 2 buff roosters. There are also 2 buff hens of another breed with no feathers on their legs, and 1 rooster of the same kind. My little one has feathers on her legs but she is black and white. Any ideas on what breed and more importantly what gender?

Baby Princess PiriPiri

Comb has no color yet. The hens at work have red combs too.

Here her tail is held down but often she does hold it quite high.

Her back is also almost fully feathered, just the sides of the spine are still fluffy

So... pullet or roo?

Edit: Ok I think it's fixed. Do these forums not work with direct

Last edited:
I don't know if it's just me and my computer......but I can't get the links to open up to your pictures....
When the page opens, it says:
We're sorry, we cannot find the page you requested.

Please check the URL for correct spelling and capitalization.

I would at the moment say she looks like a pullet but I think you need to post some more pics up in a couple of week. The comb is quite raised but not sure what breed s/he is so might be genetic. To be honest I would think its a bit early to tell xx

I'm sorry I don't have any idea .....
but she sure is adorable....!
Hopefully someone will know and reply....

I got some photos of the chickens that might be her parents.

3 hens (2 buff and 1 dark) and 2 roosters are brothers and sisters. The one pictured below just hatched out 7 chicks. Her sister looks the same but instead of black, she has gray/blue feathers on her tail and neck.

Both brother roosters look like this except the other has black/blue underside and leg feathers.

This is the dark hen sister to the one pictured above, and the rooster in the back is a different breed with only a few tiny feathers on the legs. There are 2 hens that are his sisters.

Any suggestions on what breeds these chickens are? Are they Brahmas? And why is my chicken black and white? lol None of the others are that color.

Back
Top Bottom