What breed and gender is Pumpkin? ~New pics pg. 2!~

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenPeep, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello!
    I have a little orange silkie named Pumpkin. I really don't know what breed it is, but i think it's probably a girl. Please tell me I'm right!
    I always see Pumpkin eating, however, Pump is small and skinny. Could smallness possibly mean girl?
    Please help me figure out the breed and gender of my little Pumpkin!
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get a profile shot thats not as close as all of these cause right now it looks more pullety than cockerel

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Darling silkie! It's so hard to tell with silkies....I had to wait until one of mine crowed! I am going to guess girl though.....I'm not seeing anything that looks like a comb there.....

4. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Really hard to tell for silkies. It could be either a boy or girl.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

beautiful silkie chick.

Her color I would call a smutty buff, or the parents may have been a buff and a partridge - I have had chicks similarly colored from my mixed color flock.

They are very hard to sex, but by the size and shape of the crest thus far at that age, I would hazard a guess and say girl, but I wouldn't hold my breath until she gets about 4-5 months old and the crest stays rounded and no streamers (odd feathers that poke out away from and longer than the crest ball of feathers)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I'm not seeing any streamers so I'm gonna go with pullet. Can't be sure though [​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:I was also thinking that she could be a buff/blue or black mix. What do you think about that?

8. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    looks to be a silkie pullet judgeing by the size and shape of the crest and lack of strimers

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I can't tell. Could be either a pullet or a cockerel, from what I see.

It is VERY difficult to tell sometimes with silkies.

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

streamers don't come in until atleast 4-5 months, so even if this was a boy, you wouldn't see any streamers yet. this chick looks to be quite young, about 2-3 months old. However because of the size and roundness of the crest I believe its a girl.

Yes she should be a buff X blue...I doubt black, when you mix a buff and a black your more likely to get a darker bird, more often black based with gold leaking. I'd expect a lot more color/black on her if she had a black parent.

I had a blue that would throw me partridge chicks, and when I crossed him with buff I would get partridge offspring or chicks very similiar to your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by