What breed and gender is this bird?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blakester, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Blakester

Blakester New Egg

Dec 21, 2012
    Hi,
    First of all I will fill you in on how I got the bird.

I do a paper delivery every morning, yesterday morning I saw a chicken walking on the lawn of one of the units I deliver to. I came back today, and noticed it sitting about 2 metres high in a tree. I thought I should bring it home (I already have 3 chickens - Isa Brown, White Leghorn, and Australorp) Before I took it I asked one of the people who lived nearby if anyone she knew had them, she said someone had dumped a few chickens near where I found it. So i brought it home and immediately gave it some seed. It was starving. I need to know if this is a rooster or hen, as I live in a unit and can't have a rooster. Also I would like to know the breed out of curiousity.
    Also an approximate age if possible, I understand this would be hard to know.

Pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    I would guess at some sort of old english game bantam mix and I think its a hen. But i am a newbie so might be wrong, maybe get someone else's opinion too.

3. Ronithailand

Ronithailand Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Thailand
    I am in no way an expert, but I think it a Japanese Bantam hen.

4. Blakester

Blakester New Egg

Dec 21, 2012
    Thank you both so much for your replies, glad to hear that 2 people think its a hen :D
    Also, is the white on its earlobe normal? Just want to make sure it isn't a disease or something.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The white earlobe is a characteristic of many white egg-laying breeds [​IMG] Looks like another mysterious "rose comb red leghorn hen"... not sure that it's possible for her to be that breed, but that's what I think she looks like.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, it's a hen.
    Second, it's at least part Dutch bantam. Body shape, the white earlobe, etc are from that. The comb shows some mixed breeding, as does the leg color. When you were asking about the white lobe, doesn't your leghorn have a similar white lobe? She should.
    Age......meh. She's adult, at least 6 months, after that I got nothing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2 may have some rosecomb in her as well.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ditto to what Donrae said. She's a Dutch/Rosecomb cross. Pretty girl.

9. Blakester

Blakester New Egg

Dec 21, 2012
    Thanks so much guys...looks like i'm keeping her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by