What breed and gender is this chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carriagegirl23, Jan 19, 2014.

1. carriagegirl23

carriagegirl23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Do you know how old it is?

I believe you have a splash cochin or cochin mix hen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. carriagegirl23

Aug 7, 2013
    Not sure on age. That's what I thought too! And then "it" jumped on my hens today and did the deed. I just want to make sure an aggressive hen doesn't do that. I haven't gotten any eggs and it has NOT crowed. It makes hen sounds! When my silkie rooster comes around it, it takes stance and acts like it wants to fight! Then it hunkers down when you put your hand over it like a hen! It loves people and wants to be right by your side! I'm so darn confused! ;(

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

Looks like a splash cochin mix hen. I say mix because it does not have the nice round rump that a cochin normally has but the rest of it is very cochin like- a little long in the neck for one too. Has a hen shapped body, no dead give aways to being a roo. It could just be an alpha female, that is why it jumps on the other hens and wants to scrap with the roo. the neck feathers are the only thing that look a little strange, a little hackle like...

5. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    It looks like a roo to me, how long have you had it? if you haven't had it long it seems a little strange that a hen would act so dominant to a new flock even if she was dominant in her previous one.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it bantam or standard? I don't see any saddle feathers, but if its a young standard Cochin, I'd bet its a boy. They are very slow to mature, especially the large fowl variety.
    It looks all Cochin to me. Not all are created equal, some cushions are better than others, for example.

7. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    "It's" neck feathers and behavior tell me he's a boy. Quite a cute one!

We used to say a cute guy like him was "foxy" but not in the sense of a chicken predator.

But yea, he's hunting the babes.... (hens) :) :)

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on the gender (but would guess rooster, based on behavior), but it does look like a Splash Cochin.

9. carriagegirl23

Aug 7, 2013
    I have had "it" for just over a week. I bought "it" at an auction not this past saturday,but the one before it. I have heard no crowing period. Just walks around clucking like a hen! But gets up on the females and shakes its tale and holds em down. Lol! Then comes back wanting to be petted! Lol!

10. carriagegirl23

Aug 7, 2013
    Oh and it is not a bantam. This chicken is HUGE! I would guess anywhere between 12-14 lbs. I dont really care what sex it is. I was hoping for a hen but rooster is ok.too. Whatever it is, its a beautiful bird. I fell in love wth this bird the second i saw it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by