What breed and gender please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DeborahOBE, Jun 5, 2012.

1. DeborahOBE

DeborahOBE Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any idea of the breed and/or sex of this 12 week old chicken. I'm new to all this so please forgive my ignorance. It has no sign of spurs, but has very green looking tail feathers growing (sorry- the picture doesn't show them at all well).
    Thank you,
    Deborah

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hi and [​IMG]

I think it's a pullet! I'm not sure of the breed. Someone else can answer that. The grayish feet and all.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It does have a pullet look. Are you sure it's only 12 weeks old. I wouldn't expect a pullet at that age to have such a red comb and wattles. BTW, a young rooster wouldn't have any spurs until he's much older so you can't tell sex by that.

4. chicknduck

chicknduck Songster

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello [​IMG]

5. DeborahOBE

DeborahOBE Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    Thanks for your replies and warm welcome :)
    It may be older than 12 weeks but not by much- maybe a few weeks at the most I think.
    What's worrying me is the green tail feathers that seem to be getting ever greener and longer. Are green feathers a good sign of a cockerel? I know I should just wait and see but I don't want my children to get too attached to a chicken we can't keep!
    Thank you for your help.
    Deborah

6. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Looks like it could be a sliver laced wyandotte. I am not a pro!

7. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Looks like a Easter Egger Cockerel without the beard.

I don't think it is a SLW because the colours are wrong, and the legs are not yellow.

Could be a SLW x EE - but it looks to be a mix.

I'm going with roo on this one :/ Sorry.

8. chickenreferee

chickenreferee Chirping

Jun 2, 2012
    Statesville, NC
    Has a Wyandotte look about it to me. Maybe a columbian or a silver penciled mix?

I dunno about pullet...I'm no expert but 'her' comb and wattles seem cockeral like to me for 12 weeks.

Here's one of my SLW cockerals from a few years ago. He was hatched in Feb, this was taken in May or June....
    [​IMG]

And a pullet taken around the same time from the same clutch....
    [​IMG]

'She' is a pretty chick by the way. Hope maybe these pictures help a little.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. DeborahOBE

DeborahOBE Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    Hmmm. Thank you. Chickenreferee- 'he' certainly looks much more like your cockerel than your pullet. Those photos are really helpful. I guess I'll prepare myself for the likelihood of having to find a new home for him! It's a shame because he's a beautiful chicken. It's proving to be a bit of a steep learning curve for me!

10. chickenreferee

chickenreferee Chirping

Jun 2, 2012
    Statesville, NC
    I'm not so great at telling gender myself. I bought some EE chicks a couple years ago and named one of them Mr. Sir thinking it was a cockeral....until she laid an egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: