What breed and gender? stray chicken.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmoreno, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cmoreno

cmoreno New Egg

Jun 8, 2013
    Sounds odd but while we were gone for Christmas a friend text me about a chicken they saw while hiking. It looked injured. I told her if it's still on the trail the next time she goes and can catch it she could put it in my yard. Yes I know I was risking disease. But I couldn't have it freeze in winter alone injured in Utah. It's basically black and white with longer neck feathers than most. Those are mostly white. Tail and wings are mostly black with an almost bluish hue. Tail doesn't stand up like the rest of our hens. It sticks out and almost droops downward. Was picked on by our girls a lot but they're getting used to it. Haven't seen any different looking eggs nor has it made any noise. Isn't afraid of the dogs but doesn't let them get close. Doesn't fight back. Just walks away. Pretty bird.
    I can't figure out how to add the image so I set it as my profile avatar. Anyone know what this poor bird is? We aren't allowed in our city to have roosters. It's it's a roo I need to find a new home soon.

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It looks like an Easter Egger/Ameracauna, I think it is a rooster. Pretty bird, though!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My eyes aren't that great on the small pics, but I believe you have an Easter Egger rooster. The rooster part I'm positive on, the EE I'm not sure due to the small pic.

4. cmoreno

cmoreno New Egg

Jun 8, 2013
    I'm really thinking it's a Phoenix and worried it's a roo. It looks exactly like one i found online but tail this one has a slightly shorter tail.

5. cmoreno

cmoreno New Egg

Jun 8, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Figured out how to include photos. Maybe this helps.

6. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    I think he is a EE roo.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, he's 100% Easter egger rooster. Phoenix look quite different, straight combs, no beard or muffs, leaner bodies and those beautiful tails.

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x3
    Lady of McCamley

9. Chickenpen

Chickenpen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I found some pictures on an old thread that may help....Buy Sell Auction ---Archives dated 10-22-2011........The name is rockinpaints.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have an Easter Egger, rooster for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by